Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 192625
Mailman archiver wrongly removes multipart/mixed message parts
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:11:33 EST
Description of problem:
Mailman's archiver will wrongly remove (scrub) mime message parts with a content
type of multipart/mixed. This includes any PGP/MIME signed message with an
attachment. As this is a convenient (and somewhat common) way to send digitally
signed patch files to project mailing lists it is desireable to not lose the
attached patch in the mailing list archives.
See the following thread on the mailman-users list for a problem report and
This bug has been fixed upstream since version 2.1.6. The attached patch was
kindly backported from mailman's subversion repository by mailman developer Mark
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Send a message with a multipart/mixed content type part to a mailman list
2. Check the archives for the list
3. Notice that the message and attachment have been scrubbed
4. Resolve problem with help of mailman developer Mark Sapiro
5. File bug report here so others can benefit from solution
Message in archive is missing the message body and attachment.
Message body and attachment should be in the list archive.
The simplest way to generate a message which tickles this bug is a PGP/MIME
signed message with an attachment. I used mutt to generate test messages, but
any PGP/MIME compliant MUA's messages ought to trigger the same problem in the
Created attachment 129787 [details]
Please test http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2006-May/msg00131.html
Yes, the update to 2.1.8 does solve this issue. I didn't do a lot of other
testing on the update, but it does install without issue and basic mailman
functionality is still working. If I notice any problems I'll be sure to report
The update to 2.1.8 didn't make it into FC4 before it was moved to Fedora
Legacy, but FL did release it. Anyone using FL will have the fix as will users
of newer FC versions. I'm marking this as Closed NEXTRELEASE to remove cruft
from bugzilla. Hope that's OK.