Description of problem:
After installing a fresh copy of RHEL 8.3 on a VMWare VM that is set use EFI for it's firmware will boot into emergency mode after the install.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Follow steps below to reproduce.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Boot VM to RHEL 8.3 iso
2. On Installation Summary page select "Security Profile"
3. Select "CIS Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 Benchmark" then click "Select Profile" and "Done"
4. At the Installation Summary page select "Installation Destination"
5. Change the "Storage Configuration" to "Custom" and Click "Done"
6. Change to the "Standard Partition" scheme and click "Done"
7. Click "Create them Automatically".
8. Add the following partitions to meet the CIS Benchmark compliance and click "Done". Accept any changes.
9. At the Installation Summary change the "Software Selection" to "Server".
10. Configure Network settings (optional)
11. Set a root password and click "Begin Installation".
12. After install, restart.
13. It will boot into emergency mode.
After fresh install with EFI firmware set on VM, it boots to emergency mode.
Boot to the normal login prompt.
Feb 09 08:05:31 bztest systemd: Mounting /boot/efi...
Feb 09 08:05:31 bztest mount: mount: /boot/efi: unknown filesystem type 'vfat'.
Feb 09 08:05:31 bztest systemd: boot-efi.mount: Mount process exited, code=exited status=32
Feb 09 08:05:31 bztest systemd: boot-efi.mount: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Feb 09 08:05:31 bztest systemd: Failed to mount /boot/efi.
I created a KVM instance with REHL8.3 using the steps provided and I got the same problem. I followed the steps in , but instead of /etc/modprobe.d/CIS.conf, the file was /etc/modprobe.d/vfat.conf. I commented out "install vfat /bin/true" in that file and then rebooted. The instance started without a problem.
This is fixed upstream by dropping the rule from the CIS profile. The rule should be checked manually anyway.
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.
For information on the advisory (scap-security-guide bug fix and enhancement update), and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.
If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.