Bug 193965 - "Grace" build failure because of wrong dependency on "xorg-x11-devel"
"Grace" build failure because of wrong dependency on "xorg-x11-devel"
Status: CLOSED NOTABUG
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: grace (Show other bugs)
rawhide
i386 Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: José Matos
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2006-06-03 10:01 EDT by Joachim Frieben
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:11 EST (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2006-06-04 18:18:50 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Joachim Frieben 2006-06-03 10:01:33 EDT
Description of problem:
A rebuild of the "grace" package fails for the current development tree
because among the build requirements appears "xorg-x11-devel" which was
correct for FC4 but neither for FC5 not the current "rawhide" tree.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
grace-5.1.19-5.fc6

How reproducible:
Always.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Execute "rpmbuild --rebuild grace-5.1.19-5.fc6.src.rpm"
  
Actual results:
Build aborts wit hthe message:
"error: Failed build dependencies:
        xorg-x11-devel is needed by grace-5.1.19-5.i386"

Expected results:
Package should compile cleanly.

Additional info:
None.
Comment 1 Joachim Frieben 2006-06-03 10:09:01 EDT
Ah, in the spec file, the following cases are distinguished:

%if "%{fedora}" >= "5"
BuildRequires: libXpm-devel
%else
BuildRequires: 11-devel
%endif

Seems that %{fedora} is not defined (correctly) for a current
rawhide system. This probably means that some other build
requirement is missing which makes sure that this variable is
set.
Comment 2 José Matos 2006-06-04 18:18:50 EDT
(In reply to comment #1)
> 
> Seems that %{fedora} is not defined (correctly) for a current
> rawhide system. This probably means that some other build
> requirement is missing which makes sure that this variable is
> set.

You need to define it, in the standard build system the fedora macro is 
defined to be the version of the release. I agree that i would be nice to have
this defined for development tools.

I close this as not a bug since the spec file is correct and it works in the 
building system. It follows established and documented procedures, so there is 
nothing wrong with the spec file.
Comment 3 Joachim Frieben 2006-06-05 03:16:06 EDT
I do not get your point. RPM packages have to build cleanly on a Fedora Core
system. This is the case for the "core" packages unless some "BuildReq" is
missing. Why would "extra" packages not be expected to rebuild correctly?
If additional components are required to rebuild the packages, they should
be added as build requirements in the spec file.
Comment 4 José Matos 2006-06-05 04:05:43 EDT
The guidelines that I refer are here: 
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DistTag

Search there for conditionals.

If you disagree I suggest you to bring this issue to fedora-extras-list
for discussion. I am saying this in all fairness :-) I don't think this is
the right place to discuss this.

If I remember correctly there were some previous threads about this subject
but I do not remember the outcome. :-)

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.