cluster-api-provider has no logic for handling auto pinning policy.
What we want:
Cluster API provider should expose logic for adding a created machine having auto pinning policy by adding a field for the policy in the machine spec.
This means that when you create a machine set you can decide that all the machines will be created with an auto pinning policy.
The UI behavior to auto configure high performance VMs with the `existing` policy is not supported.
How to test?
1. Create a machine set with the auto pinning policy, for example:
2. Verify that 1 machine is created and added with the provided policy (disabled - do nothing; existing, will have the same cpu topology provided. In the above example 8 cores, 1 socket, 1 thread; adjust - will override the cpu topology). In both existing and adjust, the VM will be pinned to every host in the cluster, the VM should have the number of NUMA nodes as the host (with the limit of the number of CPU the VM has), those should be pinned to the host with strict mode. A fit cpu pinning string should be provided.
3. scale to 2 replicas and make sure that another machine is created and added with the same policy
Negative test suggestion:
- Try to run it on unsupported version of the engine (< 4.4.5) if possible. A warning should appear. No policy is set even if provided.
`Existing` policy is blocked on ovirt since 4.4.7. You may still test it, in 4.4.7 or above it will cause a backend error in the engine; preventing updating/creating VM with existing policy.
1. create/edit the machineset resource, changing the auto_pinning_policy to adjust and the cpu topology to some arbitrary one
2. once all workers were removed, add one replica.
3. scale the replicas in 2 and 3 and so on
4. change the auto_pinning_policy to exiting
- cpu topology on the created vms automatically overridden according with hosts
- failure on engine when setting existing policy as ovirt is > 4.7:
ERROR [org.ovirt.engine.api.restapi.resource.AbstractBackendResource] (default task-189)  Operation Failed: [Cannot edit VM. The Auto Pinning policy Existing is currently unsupported.]
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.
For information on the advisory (Moderate: OpenShift Container Platform 4.8.2 bug fix and security update), and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.
If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.