Bug 1942736 - Administrator -> Administration - i18n misses
Summary: Administrator -> Administration - i18n misses
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Alias: None
Product: OpenShift Container Platform
Classification: Red Hat
Component: Management Console
Version: 4.8
Hardware: x86_64
OS: Linux
low
low
Target Milestone: ---
: 4.8.0
Assignee: Robb Hamilton
QA Contact: Yadan Pei
URL:
Whiteboard: Scrubbed
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2021-03-24 19:53 UTC by Krishna Babu K
Modified: 2021-07-27 22:55 UTC (History)
5 users (show)

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: No Doc Update
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2021-07-27 22:55:28 UTC
Target Upstream Version:


Attachments (Terms of Use)
i18n misses - administration menu (2.50 MB, application/zip)
2021-03-24 19:53 UTC, Krishna Babu K
no flags Details


Links
System ID Private Priority Status Summary Last Updated
Github openshift console pull 9004 0 None closed Bug 1963159: Add Sprint 200 translations 2021-06-01 13:03:08 UTC
Github openshift console pull 9094 0 None open Bug 1942736: update Admin resource translations to new standard 2021-06-01 13:58:52 UTC
Red Hat Product Errata RHSA-2021:2438 0 None None None 2021-07-27 22:55:47 UTC

Description Krishna Babu K 2021-03-24 19:53:20 UTC
Created attachment 1766058 [details]
i18n misses - administration menu

Description of problem:
In Administrator perspective, 'Administration' menu navigation has some content in English. Took the screenshots and attached here for reference 

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
4.8.0-0.nightly-2021-03-22-064955

How reproducible:


Steps to Reproduce:
1.
2.
3.

Actual results:
Content is in English

Expected results:
Content should be in selected language.

Additional info:

Comment 1 Zac Herman 2021-03-25 15:37:31 UTC
There are a lot of items in this ticket but I have tried to go through all of them.  In terms of code, every item that can be translated has been coded to be translated.  Items that are not showing up in these screen shots probably have been missed as we have re-organized the translation values - which should be resolved automatically as we do our next rounds of translations. Not sure how to proceed with the tracking of this ticket but it probably can be closed when the next translations occur.

Comment 2 Krishna Babu K 2021-03-26 18:00:27 UTC
(In reply to Zac Herman from comment #1)
> There are a lot of items in this ticket but I have tried to go through all
> of them.  In terms of code, every item that can be translated has been coded
> to be translated.  Items that are not showing up in these screen shots
> probably have been missed as we have re-organized the translation values -
> which should be resolved automatically as we do our next rounds of
> translations. Not sure how to proceed with the tracking of this ticket but
> it probably can be closed when the next translations occur.

Yes, after merging next rounds of translation I can verify again and close the bug once all translations reflected on UI.
Please let me know once the translation of these parts merged into code.
Thank you very much!

Comment 3 Robb Hamilton 2021-04-08 14:34:05 UTC
Waiting on translations to land.

Comment 6 Robb Hamilton 2021-06-01 13:03:09 UTC
This is fixed with https://github.com/openshift/console/pull/9004

Comment 7 Robb Hamilton 2021-06-01 13:06:23 UTC
Found one outlier that I will put up another PR to resolve.

Comment 8 Robb Hamilton 2021-06-01 15:34:49 UTC
There are a number of factors here:

1.  Some resources have keys in the corresponding language files, but the translators intentionally chose not to translate the value (e.g., ClusterOperators).
2.  Some resources don't have a model and are not expected to be translated (e.g., APIServer and the other resources of the Cluster Settings > Global configuration page)
3.  https://github.com/openshift/console/pull/9094 updates Admin resource translations to new standard that came about after the pages were originally internationalized.

Given the above, this bug can be considered fixed noting the fix in 3 will require new translations in order to be fully resolved, and Sam and Rebecca met with "the globalization team and QE and they seemed ok with closing bugs assuming that pseudolocalization is correct since it takes a long time to get the translations sometimes."

Comment 9 Krishna Babu K 2021-06-02 16:30:37 UTC
Verified on 4.8.0-0.nightly-2021-06-02-025513

As explained in #Comment 8, 
 1. 'ClusterOperators', 'Operator', 'namespace' these are not translated by the translators (if the localization team thinks otherwise during l10n QA, they can update translations).
 2. Not sure whether {'Cluster Autoscalar', 'Machine Autoscalar', 'ResourceQuota', 'LimitRange', 'CustomResourceDefinition'} are intentionally not translated or need another translation cycle, either case the pseudolocalization is available for them.

Comment 12 errata-xmlrpc 2021-07-27 22:55:28 UTC
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.

For information on the advisory (Moderate: OpenShift Container Platform 4.8.2 bug fix and security update), and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.

If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.

https://access.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2021:2438


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.