Bug 1955987 - Battle.net client does not work since Fedora 34
Summary: Battle.net client does not work since Fedora 34
Keywords:
Status: NEW
Alias: None
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: lutris
Version: 34
Hardware: Unspecified
OS: Unspecified
unspecified
high
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Chris King
QA Contact: Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
URL:
Whiteboard:
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2021-05-01 22:40 UTC by Daniel Rusek
Modified: 2021-05-03 21:58 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: If docs needed, set a value
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2021-05-02 18:32:39 UTC
Type: Bug


Attachments (Terms of Use)

Description Daniel Rusek 2021-05-01 22:40:16 UTC
Description of problem:
Battle.net client has multiple issues in Lutris on Fedora 34. Everything worked fine on Fedora 33.

1. There are these errors in log, they may be PipeWire related, however they do not seem to be fatal:

[0502/000612.281:ERROR:network_change_notifier_win.cc(142)] WSALookupServiceBegin failed with: 0
[0502/000612.310:ERROR:core_audio_util_win.cc(427)] Failed to create Core Audio device enumerator on thread with ID 36

2. All texts in Battle.net are missing. I think that this may be related to FreeType (HarfBuzz) or other font changes that happened in Fedora 34. This is in log:

"Wine cannot find the FreeType font library. To enable Wine to use TrueType fonts please install a version of FreeType greater than or equal to 2.0.5."

This is the actual FreeType version: freetype-2.10.4-3.fc34.x86_64
(Wine is also 64-bit.)

3. Battle.net then crashes, few seconds after start.

wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 00000068 at address 6CA7506E (thread 02dc), starting debugger...

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
lutris-0.5.8.3-3.fc34.x86_64

How reproducible:
Every time.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Use fully updated Fedora 34 Workstation system.
2. Install Lutris.
3. Install Battle.net, for example using installer from: https://lutris.net/games/world-of-warcraft-classic/

Actual results:
Battle.net launcher has missing texts on login screen and crashes after a few seconds.

Expected results:
Battle.net launcher works fine out-of-box.

Additional info:
I am using the same Wine version in Lutris that I used on Fedora 33: lutris-6.0-x86_64

I have tried unchecking the "Prefer system libraries" option in Lutris settings, however nothing changed.

Comment 1 Daniel Rusek 2021-05-02 18:32:39 UTC
I finally got the Battle.net client working by running: sudo dnf install freetype.i686 gnutls.i686

It is strange that it worked out-of-box on F33 without installing any external dependencies, but it is possible that these dependencies were part of wine-core. Or maybe this is an upstream Lutris issue (that internal dependencies are not preferred although the "Prefer system libraries" option is enabled in Lutris settings). Anyway, this does not seem to be a Lutris packaging issue. I am closing this bz and adding the freetype.i686 dependency here: https://github.com/lutris/docs/blob/master/Battle.Net.md

Comment 2 Daniel Rusek 2021-05-03 21:41:23 UTC
So, it turned out that this is actually a Lutris packaging issue. Lutris does depend only on 64-bit wine-core on x86_64. It should depend on both 64-bit and 32-bit, otherwise only 64-bit Wine applications will work correctly. Reopening this bz.

Comment 3 Daniel Rusek 2021-05-03 21:58:04 UTC
I have sent a PR that fixes the issue: https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/lutris/pull-request/4


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.