1. Proposed title of this feature request
>> [RFE] Add option to pass "LEAPP_OVL_SIZE" variable with desired value in "Run upgrade via Leapp" job template
3. What is the nature and description of the request?
>> Add option to pass " LEAPP_OVL_SIZE" variable with desired value in "Run upgrade via Leapp" job template so that user does not require it to set it on the host manually and then proceed with the RHEL8 upgrade.
4. Why does the customer need this? (List the business requirements here)
>> To fully automate the RHEL7 to RHEL8 upgrade.
5. How would the customer like to achieve this? (List the functional requirements here)
>> By adding an option to pass "LEAPP_OVL_SIZE" variable with desired value in "Run upgrade via Leapp" job template
6. For each functional requirement listed, specify how Red Hat and the customer can test to confirm the requirement is successfully implemented.
7. Is there already an existing RFE upstream or in Red Hat Bugzilla?
8. Does the customer have any specific timeline dependencies and which release would they like to target (i.e. RHEL5, RHEL6)?
9. Is the sales team involved in this request and do they have any additional input?
10. List any affected packages or components.
>> Job Templates
11. Would the customer be able to assist in testing this functionality if implemented?
Additional Information -
While upgrading from the RHEL7 to RHEL8, the leapp upgrade fails with an error if an "XFS ftype=0 case" condition is met.(typical for systems installed with RHEL 7.4 or before)
At least X MB more space needed on the </XXX> filesystem
For more information please check
[leapp] At least X MB more space needed on the </XXX> filesystem
The solution is to set the LEAPP_OVL_SIZE variable with a larger value (computation is XXX + 2048 + some space for security).
But this needs to be done manually on all affected clients and completely and does not fit incomplete automation using satellite 6.
The solution for this issue is to add an option in "Run upgrade via Leapp" job template to pass the value of the LEAPP_OVL_SIZE variable based on the following conditions.
1. Check XFS file systems built with ftype=0 option. There is a check in "preupgrade check with leapp" which checks for the same. Maybe we can utilize that
If YES -
Set the "LEAPP_OVL_SIZE"
If NO -
Do Not set the "LEAPP_OVL_SIZE"
Current Workaround which is working fine. -
- Satellite WebUI > Hosts > Job Template > In search box search "Run upgrade via Leapp" > Clone the template by clicking on drop-down menu next to run button
- Here modify the code as follows and save
- hosts: all
- name: Populate Env
line: "LEAPP_OVL_SIZE=4096" <<< Set the value as per requirement.
- name: Source ENV
shell: "source /etc/environment"
- name: Run Leapp Upgrade
command: leapp upgrade
<%- if input('Reboot') == "true" -%>
- name: Reboot the machine
<%- end -%>