Description of problem:
I upgraded from Fedora33 to Fedora34 with dnf system-upgrade on the 2nd of May.
After the upgrade X11 uses only part of my screen, leaving huge black margin on right and bottom.
I use kde, my processor is an Intel Core i5 with the builtin display adapter connected to an LG monitor (which I bought for my previous computer in December 2009) with a DVI-D cable.
I run my system on runlevel 3, and the text mode virtual consoles use the whole screen, but when I start the graphical interface with the startx command, it uses only part of the screen. The monitor resolution is 1680x1050 at 60 Hz, but when I go to System settings/Display configuration, it shows resolution 1024x768 and doesn't offer any other choices. It shows the monitor as manufacturer_TODO and model_TODO.
Before the F33->F34 upgrade, it worked fine and used the whole screen. So it did with F32, which I initially installed last summer, upgraded to F33 in November.
The system information shows Graphics Platform: Wayland. I think it was something else before the upgrade, but I'm not sure about it.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
All the time when I have X11 running.
Steps to Reproduce:
Display using only part of the screen
Whole screen used
Not sure if xorg-x11-drv-intel is the right component, but it felt most likely when I had to choose something.
I also tried a Dell monitor, but it behaves the same way.
I updated xorg-x11-xinit to 1.4.0-10 from 1.4.0-9 (and fstrm to 0.6.1-2 from 0.6.0-4) and that fixed the problem.
The problem got fixed with my primary computer (built last June) on Wednesday the 4th of May when I updated xorg-x11-xinit to 1.4.0-10 (and fstrm to 0.6.1-2 in the same transaction), but my older computer, built in December 2009, still only used part of the screen with X.
The older computer got the problem fixed on the 8th of May, when I got updates for the plasma packages (5.21.5-1 on some and 5.21.5-3 on some others), kde-gtk-config (5.21.5-1) and breeze-gtk-* (5.21.5-1), not sure which of them was critical as I updated them in the same transaction.
Now I consider the problem fixed.
This message is a reminder that Fedora Linux 34 is nearing its end of life.
Fedora will stop maintaining and issuing updates for Fedora Linux 34 on 2022-06-07.
It is Fedora's policy to close all bug reports from releases that are no longer
maintained. At that time this bug will be closed as EOL if it remains open with a
'version' of '34'.
Package Maintainer: If you wish for this bug to remain open because you
plan to fix it in a currently maintained version, change the 'version'
to a later Fedora Linux version.
Thank you for reporting this issue and we are sorry that we were not
able to fix it before Fedora Linux 34 is end of life. If you would still like
to see this bug fixed and are able to reproduce it against a later version
of Fedora Linux, you are encouraged to change the 'version' to a later version
prior to this bug being closed.
Fedora Linux 34 entered end-of-life (EOL) status on 2022-06-07.
Fedora Linux 34 is no longer maintained, which means that it
will not receive any further security or bug fix updates. As a result we
are closing this bug.
If you can reproduce this bug against a currently maintained version of
Fedora please feel free to reopen this bug against that version. If you
are unable to reopen this bug, please file a new report against the
Thank you for reporting this bug and we are sorry it could not be fixed.