Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 199065
RPM database corrupted
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:11:37 EST
Description of problem:
The rpm Database doesn't seem to work anymore on my computer. It worked fine
and then suddenly without me fiddeling me with it yum didn't work anymore..
i coulnd't update anything. and when i try to install an rpm manually it says
/bin/bash is missing, wich is rediculous.. i noticed that any package i ask rpm
about doesn't exist. Even rpm -qv kernel says "Package not found" and i tried
didn't do any good..
/usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb_verify found /var/lib/rpm/Packages consistent
I expected some update did it..
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
RPM, Version 4.4.2
__db.001 __db.002 __db.003 Name Packages
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5357568 Jul 16 22:08 Basenames
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12288 Jul 16 22:08 Conflictname
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 983040 Jul 16 22:08 Dirnames
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5251072 Jul 16 22:08 Filemd5s
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 32768 Jul 16 22:08 Group
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 20480 Jul 16 22:08 Installtid
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 49152 Jul 16 22:08 Name
-rw-r--r-- 1 rpm rpm 29380608 Jun 24 14:08 Packages
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 335872 Jul 16 22:08 Providename
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 94208 Jul 16 22:08 Provideversion
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12288 Jul 16 22:07 Pubkeys
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 385024 Jul 16 22:08 Requirename
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 188416 Jul 16 22:08 Requireversion
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 81920 Jul 16 22:08 Sha1header
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 45056 Jul 16 22:08 Sigmd5
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12288 Jul 16 22:08 Triggername
D: rebuilding database /var/lib/rpm into /var/lib/rpmrebuilddb.5670
D: creating directory /var/lib/rpmrebuilddb.5670
D: opening old database with dbapi 3
D: opening db environment /var/lib/rpm/Packages joinenv
D: opening db index /var/lib/rpm/Packages rdonly mode=0x0
D: locked db index /var/lib/rpm/Packages
D: opening new database with dbapi 3
D: opening db environment /var/lib/rpmrebuilddb.5670/Packages create:mpool
D: opening db index /var/lib/rpmrebuilddb.5670/Packages create mode=0x42
D: closed db index /var/lib/rpm/Packages
D: closed db environment /var/lib/rpm/Packages
D: closed db index /var/lib/rpmrebuilddb.5670/Packages
D: closed db environment /var/lib/rpmrebuilddb.5670/Packages
D: removing directory /var/lib/rpmrebuilddb.5670
D: May free Score board((nil))
I've tried to assist this user with solving the issue, and I may have some
After we found the rpm utility unable to find any packages (rpm -qv kernel, or
rpm -qv bash), we tested the /var/lib/rpm/Packages file for consistency with
As it appeared to be consistent, we removed every single file from /var/lib/rpm
except Packages, and let the RPM database be initialized (rpm --initdb), and
rebuild (rpm -vv --rebuilddb). As these commands do complete without any
complaint, but do not recreate the files in /var/lib/rpm nor
/var/lib/rpmrebuild.*, we except something goes wrong.
When setting the German language (de_DE.UTF-8), the rpm -vv --rebuilddb shows
D: Baue Datenbank /var/lib/rpm in /var/lib/rpmrebuilddb.5656 neu
D: Erstelle Verzeichnis /var/lib/rpmrebuilddb.5656
D: Ãâffne alte Datenbank mit dbapi 3
D: Offene DB-Umgebung /var/lib/rpm/Packages joinenv
D: Ãâffne DB-Index /var/lib/rpm/Packages rdonly Mode=0x0
D: Gesperrter DB-Index /var/lib/rpm/Packages
D: Ãâffne neue Datenbank mit dbapi 3
D: Offene DB-Umgebung /var/lib/rpmrebuilddb.5656/Packages create:mpool
D: Ãâffne DB-Index /var/lib/rpmrebuilddb.5656/Packages create Mode=0x42
D: Closed DB-Index /var/lib/rpm/Packages
The last message means "Memory access error" in english.
Please run memtest86+ on your machine and see how that works. Also try copying
the /var/lib/rpm/Packages to another machine (eg to /tmp/otherdb) and do rpm
--dbpath /tmp/otherdb/ -q bash.
(In reply to comment #2)
> Please run memtest86+ on your machine and see how that works. Also try copying
> the /var/lib/rpm/Packages to another machine (eg to /tmp/otherdb) and do rpm
> --dbpath /tmp/otherdb/ -q bash.
Ok, the memtest86+ found no errors whatsoever. And when i try Packages like you
sugested on another computer it gives me the same.. Bash not installed. Although
when i just run rpm -q bash on this computer he finds it.. both fedora core 5.
Ok since this seemed to go no where, and i couldn't install anything or update
.. well anything conserning rpm i tried updating with a re-spin from the fedora
unity project. this rewrote my rpm database so it seems.. lost all package
information but it works again. And it slowely rewrites itself if i just install
the same stuff as before.. so over time i will have my full package db again.
thanks to kanarip for his help and paul for trieng.
This problem appears resolved.