Description of problem:
In 4.8 when we upgrade a helm release without changing the version we get back the values file that was sent during install. Then we could change a parameter like replicas and send the update. However with latest version of 4.9 I see a problem while getting back the values file installed. In addition to the initial values sent during install I get a new section we empty objects. For example:
I sent this env vars:
- name: ARTIFACT_DIR
But then get back these:
The error I get is this:
Failed to upgrade helm release: values don't meet the specifications of the schema(s) in the following chart(s):
- build.env.0.valueFrom.fieldRef: fieldPath is required
- build.env.0.valueFrom.resourceFieldRef: resource is required
- build.env.0.valueFrom.secretKeyRef: key is required
- build.env.0.valueFrom.configMapKeyRef: key is required
- build.env.1.valueFrom.fieldRef: fieldPath is required
- build.env.1.valueFrom.resourceFieldRef: resource is required
- build.env.1.valueFrom.secretKeyRef: key is required
- build.env.1.valueFrom.configMapKeyRef: key is required
- build.env.2.valueFrom.fieldRef: fieldPath is required
- build.env.2.valueFrom.resourceFieldRef: resource is required
- build.env.2.valueFrom.secretKeyRef: key is required
- build.env.2.valueFrom.configMapKeyRef: key is required
- deploy.env.0.valueFrom.configMapKeyRef: key is required
- deploy.env.0.valueFrom.fieldRef: fieldPath is required
- deploy.env.0.valueFrom.resourceFieldRef: resource is required
- deploy.env.0.valueFrom.secretKeyRef: key is required
Prerequisites (if any, like setup, operators/versions):
Steps to Reproduce
Install wildfly chart using values file below
Upgrade the release and change replicas from 2 to 1
- name: ARTIFACT_DIR
- name: MAVEN_ARGS_APPEND
# Use the bootable-jar-openshift profile to ensure that the application
# can be deployed on OpenShift but disable JKube as the image will be
# built and deployed by this chart.
value: -am -pl microprofile-config -Pbootable-jar-openshift -Djkube.skip=true
- name: MAVEN_OPTS
value: '-XX:MetaspaceSize=251m -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=256m'
- name: CONFIG_PROP
value: Hello from OpenShift
Error as indicated in description
Deployment replicas updated
Reproducibility (Always/Intermittent/Only Once):
To workaround user can remove all the valueFrom section through out the values file and it will work like in 4.8.
Verified on build version: 4.9.0-0.nightly-2021-09-05-204238
Browser: Google Chrome 89
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.
For information on the advisory (Moderate: OpenShift Container Platform 4.9.0 bug fix and security update), and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.
If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.