Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 200340
gtk2 2.8.20 causes system lock-ups
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:11:38 EST
Description of problem:
System locks up, no ping, NMI watchdog produces no output.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
100% reproducible with the pan binary. I use pan-0.14.2.91-4.fc5 which was
not update in this update cycle. However, it takes some patience before
it happens. Follow Steps for easiest way to reproduce.
Steps to Reproduce:
0. Install and configure pan-0.14.2.91-4.fc5 from Extras
1. Go into a group, find an article
2. Observe that tabs behave erratically, they appear and disappear.
This indicates the affected gtk2 release.
3. Try to follow-up to an article
4. In built-in editor, type anything, select, and do other activities.
Eventually, the system locks up hard.
A slower computer is recommended to catch this.
System locks up.
I am surprised that a bug in gtk2 causes a hard lock-up. I suppose
that it's the shared fault of kernel and X11 that the box locks up
hard. That NMI Watchdog fails to work is a problem too. HOWEVER,
it's very clear that:
1. Everything works fine with gtk2-2.8.19-2
2. System breaks with gtk2 2.8.20-1
Therefore, an update to gtk2 can fix the problem.
I do not know if any other applications trigger this problem besides pan.
Not many use similarly looking tabs, so perhaps that's the key.
I got it locking with gtk2-2.8.17-1.fc5.1. So, the gtk2 was only a contributing
factor, not the real reason.