Description of problem:
Installing a new machine remotely with an attached mdev hostdev will fail although virt-manager offers the mdev in customization process.
The customer can't fix this via virt-manager, might also not be aware that the device '$uuid' is the actual mediated device by the selected nodedev, and would have to log into the libvirt host to find out the mdev is not running and start it manually.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Have a $remote_server with a defined mdev $stopped_mdev that is not running
2. Connect virt-manager to $remote_server
3. Create a new VM (e.g. import image)
4. In Step 4 of 4 select "Customize configuration before install"
5. Select "Add Hardware"
6. Select "MDEV Host Device"
==> $stopped_mdev is listed
7. Add $stopped_mdev and Begin Installation
Error "Unable to install: 'device not found: mediated device '$uuid' not found'"
A) The device is not listed
B) The device is tentatively started
C) There's a way to manage devices on remote host through virt-manager GUI.
Created attachment 1843757 [details]
Created attachment 1843758 [details]
mdev list view
Since Jiri has added the documentation to the release notes and I have opened a bug upstream, I'm going to close this bug for now.