Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 203180
Review Request: hnb - Hierarchical Notebook
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:11:40 EST
Spec URL: http://rpm.greysector.net/extras/hnb.spec
SRPM URL: http://rpm.greysector.net/extras/hnb-1.9.18-1.src.rpm
Hierarchical notebook(hnb) is a curses program to structure many kinds
of data in one place, for example addresses, to-do lists, ideas, book
reviews or to store snippets of brainstorming. Writing structured
documents and speech outlines.
The default format is XML but hnb can also export to ASCII and HTML.
External programs may be used for more advanced conversions of the XML
Again, using my review checklist:
1. No rpmlint output. Yay!
2. Package appears to meet Naming Guidelines.
3. Spec is named hnb.spec.
4. Package seems to meet the Packaging Guidelines, too.
5. Package licensed GPL...
6. ...as the spec claims.
7. COPYING in included in %doc.
8. Spec appears to be American English...not perfect (incomplete sentence in
%description), but English enough.
9. Spec is readable.
10. Tarball matches upstream. Err, sort of; will elaborate below.
11. Package builds for i386 & ppc (the two supported archs I have).
12. n/a, AFAIK.
13. BuildReq's ncurses-devel, which seems valid enough.
17. n/a, doesn't create any directories (besides %doc, which it does own).
18. No duplicate %files entries.
19. %defattr looks good.
20. %clean looks good.
21. Macro use appears consistent.
22. Package contains only code, AFAICS.
23. Documentation is minimal.
24. %doc files don't appear to affect runtime.
25. No header/static libraries.
26. No .pc files.
27. No library files.
28. No -devel subpackage.
29. No .la files.
30. No GUI applications.
31. Doesn't own any directories besides %doc, which I doubt any other packages
32. n/a, already has COPYING.
33. No translations available, that I immediately see.
34. Package builds in Plague.
35. I verified i386/ppc, submitter says he built it on x86_64.
36. Package runs, and certainly appears to work!
37. No scriptlets.
38. No subpackages.
As discussed on IRC, the submitted version (1.9.18) isn't listed in their
download section, only behind a link on their page leading to a directory
supposedly containing hnb-1.9.18pre3. While (as you said, and I agree) the site
looks fairly abandonned, I'd appreciate if you'd attempt to contact the
authors to get them to make the release a teeny bit more official. Also, keep
in mind that if the project *is* abandonned, you're probably responsible for
fixing any critical bugs with the package that might come up.
Anyways, since this submission meets the guidelines as far as I understand them,
I think we can call this APPROVED.
Imported, added dist tag which we both missed, built successfully for devel,
requested FC-5 branch. Thanks for the speedy review!