When attempting to configure my SoundBlaster 32 ISA PNP card in the setup
utility, I get the following error:
/etc/isapnp.conf:47 -- Fatal - IO range check attempted while device
activated /etc/isapnp.conf:47 -- Fatal - Error occurred
executing request '<IORESCHECK> ' --- further action aborted
I have tried using all the different soundblaster drivers using the
following info (taken from my windows setup):
IO's: 0220-022F, 0330-0331, 0388-038B
If there was other information needed other than this, I tried this
information with all other combinations. I have used previous version of
Red Hat (6.x tree) on this computer and had no problem configuring this
sound card. I believe I was using the 32/AWE driver before. This system
was upgraded from 6.2. I do not remember if I had the soundcard working
prior to the upgrade... I reinstalled Linux a few times and don't remember
if I resetup the sound card the last time. Any help would be appreciated.
The setup package includes files like /etc/services. Reassigning to the
Is this bug going to be assigned to anyone or just remain as New?
Um, the bug *is* assigned to someone.
What's your /etc/isapnp.conf look like?
I see. :) It was just bugging me that the status still said new and there had
been no action. I'm attaching my isapnp.conf I've been missing not having a
Created attachment 5704 [details]
OK, you have an ISAPnP SCSI card as well, correct?
The problem *appears* to be a conflict between it and the
Do you have a driver for the SCSI card already loaded?
Yes. It is a sym53c416 SCSI card. I never got it working properly in any of
the 6.x versions. I haven't attempted to get the SCSI card running in 7.0.
There were no conflicts in the 6.x installs. I was able to easily get my
soundcard running each time. This is a *clean* install of 7.0, not an upgrade.
I haven't attempted to get the SCSI card running. The only thing I've done is
tryied to get the soundcard running. Thanks for all your help!
OK. Edit /etc/isapnp.conf, and put a '#' before all
the lines referring to the SCSI card (they're in
the (CONFIGURE SLI4161 section).
Then run isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf. Does that work?
This did the trick. Wonder why I didn't have a problem in the 6.x series. I
did a clean install of 6.0, upgrade to 6.1, clean install of 6.1, upgrade to
6.2, and a clean install of 6.2 on this machine with no problems any time (Yes,
I did a ton of installs, mostly bug hunting). Thanks!
Works for me? How can you just resolve the bug like this? There is something
wrong with 7.0 if I had this conflict in the first place. I never had this
problem on any install (clean or upgrade) of the 6.x tree. I think that
constituts as a bug. Thank you.
I'm not sure why it worked for you in 6.2. The code in question
Can you post the output of 'pnpdump -c'?
Also, what does /proc/ioports look like?
I had the same error message in sndconfig with a clone SB16 ISA card and I found
the problem (for me at least). I don't know why everyone doesn't have the
problem with the latest sndconfig and isapnptools and an ISA sound card.
Probably something else is going on as well, but perhaps this can give a clue.
The isapnp program gets run once when the system boots, in rc.sysconfig. This
works fine, so long as your BIOS is set to "PnP aware OS" and hasn't already
configured and activated the ISA PnP cards. The card is now activated.
Subsequent runs (as in sndconfig) do a range CHECK with the board already
configured and activated, and this gives the error mentionned above. The
sndconfig program bails after encountering the error from isapnp.
The problem is that the /etc/isapnp.conf file that pnpdump generates assumes it
will only be run once per boot. To get re-entrant isapnp.conf files, you have
to turn the card off while checking the ranges. The FAQ
4.15. What does "IO range check attempted while device activated"
mean (from isapnp) ?
This means you have attempted to CHECK <isapnp.conf.5.html#CHECK> the
device resource allocation for conflicts using the IO range feature,
but the device has already been activated. Either remove the check, or
put (ACT N) before the IO allocation.
If you rerun isapnp, this is very likely to occur. You must first
deactivate any drivers using the board. Then, when you rerun isapnp,
make sure there is an (ACT N) at the beginning of the device
configuration, configure and check the settings, then (ACT Y) and the
end to reactivate it. You can then restart the drivers for the board.
My isapnp.conf file now has (ACT N) after each (CONFIGURE...) section with a
check in it. You can find these by taking the isapnp.conf file made by
sndconfig and running
Look at the error message, and it will give a line number after the filename.
That's the line with the check on it, so put the (ACT N) anywhere before that
and after the start of the section. Do that repeatedly until you don't get any
new line numbers.
My only question is why this didn't occur for me prior to my recent update.
I've been running 6.2 for a long time and have had this card working for 3
years, but sound only broke when I updated a week ago (last update before that
was 1 Sep 00). But, neither sndconfig nor isapnptools got updated ever, since
6.2 came out. It would seem that *everyone* should have this problem, which
would result in mass hysteria. So, something else is up, and I don't know
what. But, doing the above got my card to work, for what it's worth.
Created attachment 6519 [details]
pnpdump -c Output
Created attachment 6520 [details]
Hey, working in the official 7.1 :) Good work. Only thing was I had to
manually run the sound configuration tool (through setup) to get the soundcard
operational. It would be nice if no additional steps pased kudzu were needed.
Closing as resolved in the current release; it's not the best solution
for 7.0 users as it does require a newer kernel, but it should be fixed