The X server crashes when the window close button is pressed for any java
application displaying a Java3D scene (Java3D
uses OpenGL via JVM->JNI).
1) Install clean RH7.0 (CompUSA retail CD)
- Have a PIII, 256MB, GeForce2 64 DDR (Herc. 3D profit)
- selected "GeForce2 (generic)"
2) Run RH update agent (11/6/00 - don't think any XFree86 4.0 or
OpenGL/Mesa stuff is updated though)
3) Install Sun's j2sdk1_3_0 rpm
4) Install Blackdown java3D linux port (FCS-1-0-2)
5) from the jdk1.3/demo/java3d/HelloUniverse dir do "java HelloUniverse"
(or any Java3D app)
6) Program runs fine and displays 3D stuff
7) Hit the close button - X dumps.
- actually restarts (I get back the login dialog) - assuming core dump
- using Gnome and sawmill
- only other s/w installed after RH7 install was MozillaM18
and Forte4j CE
(Don't know if/how-to-find log info that could be useful - please advice)
After installing the Detinator3 driver RPMs distributed by NVidia (which are
for XFree 4.0.x, but pre-date the RH7 release), the problem only occurs under
(These replace various OpenGL libraries and install a kernel driver)
I'd need a backtrace of a coredump in order to proceed at all with this.
I wont touch proprietary drivers. The JDK's are not bug free, and we do not
ship them. Nvidia's cards do not work well with the open source driver, and
there is nothing that can realistically be done about that unless they
(nvidia) open up their specs. We do not / will not support any companies
closed source proprietary drivers. Sorry.