Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 204174
SpamAssassin with URIDNSBL tries DNS lookups for *.so in body text
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:11:41 EST
Description of problem:
SpamAssassin, when using the URIDNSBL plugin (the default) attempts DNS queries
on body text containing words such as libplain.so, or anything ending in ".so".
The DNS queries fail of course.
I noticed this problem as I am subscribed to info-cyrus and postfix-users
mailing lists where these libraries are often discussed.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Ensure that the SpamAssassin URIDNSBL plugin is loaded in
2. Send a message with "<whatever word you want>.so" in the body of the message
(I tried "marcinator.so")
3. Check your /var/log/messages and see
Aug 26 06:51:47 home named: lame server resolving 'marcinator.so' (in
Aug 26 06:51:49 home named: unexpected RCODE (REFUSED) resolving
SpamAssassin looks up *.so from body text
SpamAssassin would not look up *.so as it causes unnecessary DNS lookups that
When I comment out the URIDNSBL plugin entry in /etc/mail/spamassassin/init.pre
and try again, the symptoms do not occur.
FYI, this was cut/paste into SA's Bugzilla ticket 5066
SA is operating correctly, so the ticket was closed as "worksforme".