I reported this bug to the creators of pnm2ppa, because I thought that it
was driver problem. This seems not to be the case: (I had installed a
HP710c local printer with printtool, which at first worked correctly)
I have this situation now:
-the command /sbin/modprobe lp crashes the system (at least I loose mouse
and keuboeard access)
- lpd gives FAILED when the system is being shutted down
- prittool crashes the system when trying to add a local printer.
- the ppa_detect script crashes the system (I suppose that this is because
executes modprobe lp )
- Duncan Haldane, from pnm2ppa suggested me that lp is corrupted, after
having uninstalled and reinstalled the LPrng, printtool and pnm2ppa
I don't know how to fix it. Do you have any clue ?
Please, let me know any news or if you need more data.
Thank you in advance
This problem is a consecuence of the bug 18686.
When localhost is not well configured, lpd does not work correctly.
It's easily solved configuring localhost. See 18686
lpd isn't run from xinetd, which the quoted bug points at (and this issue was
fixed a long time ago, and an errata fixing this and other problems was released
- install by running up2date)
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 18686 ***