Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 205662
Cluster Name vs. Cluster Alias using system-config-cluster
Last modified: 2010-01-22 14:09:55 EST
Description of problem:
When using the system-config-cluster command to create a cluster, if you name
the cluster something other than the default "alpha_cluster" it populates it in
the XML file /etc/cluster/cluster.conf as an alias instead of the name. The
original default Cluster Name "alpha_cluster" is always preserved in the file as
the actual Cluster Name.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
How reproducible: Everytime
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Shutdown all cluster services on all nodes [rgmanager, gfs, clvmd, fenced,
2. Remove the file /etc/cluster/cluster.conf so that you can create a new
3. Run the command system-config-cluster.
4. Create a new Cluster and in the Cluster Properties rename the cluster to
something other then the default "alpha_cluster".
5. Save the configuration, migrate it to all nodes, and restart all cluster
services on all nodes [ccsd, cman, fenced, clvmd, gfs, rgmanager].
6. Run a clustat to make sure that the cluster is working and connected.
7. Run the command system-config-cluster again, this time you will have the
Cluster Management tab since the cluster is working.
8. Verify the Cluster Names are different in the multiple locations and also my
manually viewing the /etc/cluster/cluster.conf file you can see the different
entries name and alias.
The name you choose for the cluster is only populated as an alias. The cluster
name never changes unless you modify the /etc/cluster/cluster.conf file manually.
When you change the name of the cluster it should change the Cluster Name and
not just create an Alias. There should be an additional option to create/modify
the cluster alias.
This is deceitful when using the system-config-cluster because it doesnt
actually do what its intended. Also it is confusing when setting up cluster
services whether you are supposed to use the Name or the Alias. The application
doesnt even know what the Name is since it displays both in different locations.
Created attachment 135817 [details]
Cluster Configuration File
The UI now identifies the editable name field as 'Cluster Alias', and
immediately below, displays the 'True Cluster Name' as a non-editable label.
This is fixed in system-config-cluster-1.0.54-2.0. I did not check earlier releases. Not sure why it wasn't closed.