Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 206883
sony vaio VGN-BX297XP - installer does not recognize hard disks
Last modified: 2007-12-30 20:44:42 EST
Description of problem:
I am trying to install FC-6-Test3-i386-DVD on a sony vaio laptop model
VGN-BX297XP. This model has two 100GB hardisks (/dev/sda and /dev/sdb) and 2 GB
of memory. The installer does not recognize any of the hard disks and stops
immediatly the instalation.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1.Introduce the DVD in the drive
2.on the linux installer prompt press return
3.choose the languages for the instalation (english) and for the keyboard
instalation stops with the message: "An error has occurred - no valid devices
were found on which to create new file systems. Please check your hardware for
the cause of this problem."
normal os installation
In the same computer Ubuntu 6.06.1 and Suse-Linux-10.1-GM habe been installed
without problems. With FC5 and FC6-test2 the grub only works if no LVM partition
I have now installed FC6. I have the following comments in relation to the
issues above and others:
- the hard disks are now recognized;
- the grub has still the problem with the LVM partition
- the wireless network does not work (it works fine with Ubuntu 6.06.1 and
- the acrobat reader (AdobeReader_enu-7.0.8-1.i386.rpm) does not work (I get the
message "expr: syntax error")
Closing bug per comment #2 since:
1) FC6 is no longer maintained, and
2) The originally reported problem was resolved.
In the future, please open a separate bug for each discrete issue encountered
with a release.