Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 207796
Review Request: eventlog - Syslog-ng v2 support library
Last modified: 2008-10-12 22:36:15 EDT
The EventLog library aims to be a replacement of the simple syslog() API
provided on UNIX systems. The major difference between EventLog and syslog
is that EventLog tries to add structure to messages.
EventLog provides an interface to build, format and output an event record.
The exact format and output method can be customized by the administrator
via a configuration file.
* This package is a syslog-ng v2 build requirement (static library)
A syslog-ng v2 test srpm is available at the above download directory
This builds fine for me; rpmlint on the insatlled rpm says:
W: eventlog-devel ldd-failed /usr/lib64/libevtlog.a
which is sort of expected as ldd will just return "not a dynamic executable".
This package pretty well fits the exception to the no-static-libs rule, being a
dependency of a package that needs to be statically linked so that it can run
early in the boot sequence.
It's not necessary to have:
since you are using the
%post -p /sbin/ldconfig
form for your scriptlets. Not a blocker, of course, but /sbin/ldconfig does
show up four times in the dependency list.
* source files match upstream:
* package meets naming and packaging guidelines.
* specfile is properly named, is cleanly written and uses macros consistently.
* dist tag is present.
* build root is correct.
* license field matches the actual license.
* license is open source-compatible. License text included in package.
* latest version is being packaged.
* BuildRequires are proper.
* compiler flags are appropriate.
* %clean is present.
* package builds in mock (development, x86_64).
* package installs properly
* debuginfo package looks complete.
* rpmlint has one acceptable warning.
* final provides and requires are sane:
eventlog = 0.2.5-1.fc6
eventlog-devel = 0.2.5-1.fc6
eventlog = 0.2.5-1.fc6
* %check is not present; no test suite upstream
* shared libraries are added to the regular linker search paths; ldconfig called
* owns the directories it creates.
* doesn't own any directories it shouldn't.
* no duplicates in %files.
* file permissions are appropriate.
* scriptlets are OK (ldconfig)
* code, not content.
* documentation is small, so no -docs subpackage is necessary.
* %docs are not necessary for the proper functioning of the package.
* headers are in the -devel subpackage.
* pkgconfig file is in the -devel subpackage.
* static libraries and unversioned .so files are in the -devel subpackage.
* static libraries are acceptable in this instance.
* no libtool .la droppings.
(In reply to comment #2)
> It's not necessary to have:
> Requires(post): /sbin/ldconfig
> Requires(postun): /sbin/ldconfig
> since you are using the
> %post -p /sbin/ldconfig
> form for your scriptlets. Not a blocker, of course, but /sbin/ldconfig does
> show up four times in the dependency list.
The redundant requirements were removed.
Package imported and built for FC-5 and devel.
Thanks for the review.
Package Change Request
Package Name: eventlog
New Branches: EL-4 EL-5
Owners: peter silfreed
Note: I asked current eventlog maintainer, Douglas E. Warner, about EPEL-branches, and he hasn't any objections.