1. Proposed title of this feature request
Allow user to choose between Graphical and Text mode anaconda installer during system build via Satellite 6
2. What is the nature and description of the request?
Modification of the code shipped in provisioning templates to allow access of Graphical or Text mode anaconda console based on host parameter passed.
3. Why does the customer need this? (List the business requirements here)
By default we have "skipx" used in the provisioning templates shipped with Satellite and hence during the system build, everything happens in text mode.
Under certain circumstances e.g. Disk layout verification failure, One might be interested in mitigating the same manually by accessing the Graphical console of the anaconda installer and manually fixing the layout issues at runtime.
4. How would the customer like to achieve this? (List the functional requirements here)
There should be a host\hostgroup\global parameter present e.g. use_graphical_installer, using which, one can decide whether the kickstart should happen in text mode ( skipx ) or in graphical mode ( graphical).
5. For each functional requirement listed, specify how Red Hat and the customer can test to confirm the requirement is successfully implemented.
* Install Satellite and prepare it for system deployments.
* Create a host with a parameter with the name "use_graphical_installer" and value "true" and submit the build of the host.
* Observe if the Graphical Anaconda installer is visible and the system build completes fine or not.
6. Is there already an existing RFE upstream or in Red Hat Bugzilla?
Feature #35177: Add option to permit graphical installs for Red Hat - Foreman
Fixes #35177 - Option to switch to graphical kickstart by jcpunk ? Pull Request #9291 ? theforeman/foreman
7. Does the customer have any specific timeline dependencies and which release would they like to target (i.e. RHEL5, RHEL6)?
As soon as possible
8. Is the sales team involved in this request and do they have any additional input?
9. List any affected packages or components.
10. Would the customer be able to assist in testing this functionality if implemented?
11. Additional information:
Moving this bug to POST for triage into Satellite since the upstream issue https://projects.theforeman.org/issues/35177 has been resolved.
With the upstream PR merged, can this be backported to 6.11.Z?
Tested on Satellite 6.13.0 Snap 4.0
1. Created a new host with `use_graphical_installer` param set to true
2. Created a VM with the same MAC address of that host
3. Started the VM
the graphical anaconda installer interface was shown
In addition, when setting the `use_graphical_installer` param set to false,
the anaconda installer was running in text mode.