Description of problem:
Installation of RHEL4 Gold using virtual media fails on a PE1955 blade server
fails. CD is not recognized.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Perform virtual media install on a PE1955 server. The server to install from
should have a CDROM.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. On a server with a CDROM drive, open the DRAC web-based configuration tool
of the PE1955 blade server, type the address https://<IP Address of blade
2. Enter user name and password to log into DRAC web tool.
3. Click on the + next to DRAC/MC to expand the navigation tree.
4. Click on the Media navigation link.
5. Select the server module to attach virtual media to and click the attach
link at bottom of server list.
6. Click on Launch Media Application link to launch the virtual media console.
7. Select the drives you wish to attach, local CD-ROM and floppy (optional),
insert media into drives and click the connect button to attach the virtual
media. For the CDROM, select the ISO image located at /<CD-mount-
8. Reboot blade server, choose F11 boot menu, boot to virtual CD-ROM.
9. On the "Welcome to Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS" installation screen hit
Enter (default boot).
10. On the Language selection screen choose English and click the Next button.
11. On the Keyboard Configuration screen choose U.S. English and click the
Next button. Error happens on the next screen.
On the console, the message is "The Red Hat Enterprise Linux CD was not found
in any of your CDROM drives. Please insert the Red Hat Enterprise Linux CD and
press OK to retry".
On one of the virtual consoles, the message is "Trying to mount CD device
Installation should proceed. CD should be recognized and manual installation
process should continue as normal.
Looks like the CDROM is mapped to the blade server as a USB device. It's
possible that the correct USB driver is not included on the RHEL4 boot CD
On the PE1955 DRAC, only iso images can be attached as a virtual CDROM.
The iso image ./images/boot.iso on the CD is not the correct iso to select, as
it's not a complete iso image to boot from. Instead, an iso of the entire boot
CD should be attached as virtual media to install from.
Leaving open for now, need to clarify a couple of items before closing.
Please close and change resolution to NOTABUG, thanks.