Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 212125
yum crash at startup on FC5 live upgrade
Last modified: 2014-01-21 17:55:52 EST
Description of problem:
* Trying to upgrade an x86_64 FC5 system to FC6
* After preliminary update yum crashed during initialization on an "yum update"
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
* Upgrade a FC-5 system with:
* yum (don't know what version it was as it has been just updated)
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Upgrade fedora-release to 6-4 and fedora-release-notes to 6-3
2. Update yum with 'yum update yum':
yum updated to 3.0-6
yum-metadata-parser installed to 1.0-8.fc6
3. Now try to update all the system with 'yum update'
4. See yum traceback
* Traceback returns instead of processing updates
* Update process begins
* Before I update yum I tried directly a 'yum update' that started as expected
by downloading packages headers. I aborted the process (ctrl-C) thinking I
should update yum before update all the system. Then I hit that error.
Created attachment 139314 [details]
Console output with the traceback
Problem resolved by removing the package yum-fastestmirror with:
rpm -e yum-fastestmirror-0.6-3.fc5
I found the yum installed version in /var/log/yum.log logs:
/var/log/yum.log.2:May 10 12:53:27 (yumex) Updated: yum.noarch 2.6.1-0.fc5
adding luke so he can see it
Should we change the 'upgrade with yum' directions to 'yum upgrade yum*'?
The FC5 version of yum-fastestmirror will not work with the FC6 version of yum
due to API changes. Removing and re-installing yum-fastestmirror should resolve
(In reply to comment #5)
> Should we change the 'upgrade with yum' directions to 'yum upgrade yum*'?
This sounds like a good idea.