Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 21329
modutils upgrade to 2.3.21-1 segfaults
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:30:02 EDT
I've been using the up2date utility to ensure my system has the latest
RH-released security fixes in place. When the modutils errata update came
out, up2date started crashing saying it couldn't request
"modutils","2.3.21","1","" (or similar, I didn't record the original error
message, sorry). So I used gnorpm to download and install the new modutils
manually. It died with a segmentation fault after it had installed the new
rpm. An rpm query for modutils now returns the following:
[evonz@wally evonz]$ rpm -q modutils
Running each of the modutils-provided binaries with -V shows the following:
[evonz@wally evonz]$ modprobe -V
modprobe version 2.3.21
However, I can't get rid of the 2.3.14 in the RPM database. Every time I
try either rpm -e modutils 2.3.14-3 or rpm -Uvh --force
modutils-2.3.21-1.rpm , I get a segmentation fault and a core dump. I've
tried rebuilding the RPM database, which completed fine but had no impact
on the problem.
This does not sound like a modutils issue.
There are two problems here, the first with the modutils-2.3.21
upgarde, the 2nd with erasing duplicate packages.
modutils-2.3.21-1 installs with rpm-4.0.3-0.57, so it isn't a package problem.
Removing mutiple occurences of modutils using
rpm -e --force modutils --allmatches
works with rpm-4.0.3-0.57.
So the likeliest explanation is/was an rpm database problem.
Try upgrading to rpm-4.0.3-0.57 and doing "rpm --rebuilddb",
as there are better sanity checks on data returned from the database
there. Otherwise, please reopen this bug and supply a pointer (e.g.
a url, attachments won't work) to a copy of your database
tar czvf /tmp/rpmdb.tar.gz rpm
and I'll try to figger what's up.