Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 215072
User must press retry until installer finds packages.
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:11:48 EST
Description of problem:
The installer fails to find various packages. After each failure it prompts to
reboot (with a warning this will likely fail) or retry. Each time retry is
selected it looks for the package on a different CD and eventually finds it.
This is a text mode install as the machine doesn't have enough memory for a
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Install by PXE booting the FC6 installer. Use an HTTP repository:
Steps to Reproduce:
1. PXE boot and answer installer questions with defaults
2. select HTTP as the installation method
3. answer more questions with defaults
4. enter web server IP and path "/mirror/fedora" in HTTP setup
5. select defaults for partitioning up through entering root password
6. select office, development, and web server packages
7. wait while dependencies are checked until package install begins
During package install many errors finding packages are reported. Selecting
retry for each error results in the package being found eventually.
See attached web server log (after each get of an RPM resulting in a 404 the
error message was displayed and retry was pressed).
Installer will find packages without user intervention.
Created attachment 140931 [details]
Web server log of install.
This should be fixed for post-FC6. We did quite a bit of work on the mirror
fallover and retry stuff as a result of problems found in this particular
method. For FC6, you can either go through the tedious method of clicking retry
for tons of stuff or use a different install method (regular HTTP should work
fine, or CD ISO method I believe, among the others).