Bug 21667 - RH PPP Dialer not starting
RH PPP Dialer not starting
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: ppp (Show other bugs)
7.0
i386 Linux
high Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Nalin Dahyabhai
Aaron Brown
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2000-12-03 19:57 EST by Need Real Name
Modified: 2007-03-26 23:38 EDT (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2001-08-01 13:43:22 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Need Real Name 2000-12-03 19:57:56 EST
I have switched to using GNOME and wanted to use the RH PPP Dialer.  I 
went through the Dialup Configuration Tool, created my account and let it 
auto detect my modem.  If I choose the Debug button on the Internet 
Connections screen, it starts the modem and makes a connection.  However, 
when I select the RH PPP Dialer and choose the connection, it says it 
cannot start the connection.  The modem shows no signs of being accessed.
Comment 1 Cedric Maion 2000-12-11 06:35:01 EST
Try to disable dial on demand ? (I don't exactly remember the name of the
configuration option)

IIRC, this problem hit me one day (who knows why since it used to work !), until
I changed that setting.
Comment 2 John J. Germs 2001-01-03 20:08:40 EST
I have had a similar problem which I noticed when 7 first came out ... The
reason I didn't mention anything earlier was it suddenly worked one day, so I
dismissed it as something I did. Well.. I recently did a fresh install and the
same thing happened.(failed to activate interface)..... 
Another thing that was interesting was if I entered my dns numbers in Network
Configurator I would be able to open Netscape and go to an address after the rp3
failed to activate.... What would happen was it would dial out...strange.
Turns out the reason I got it working before was I downloaded and compiled a 2.4
kernel, booted with it and tried the Dailup Configuration utility from scratch
again. That's all it took. Once I had this interface working I tried booting
from the stock 2.2.16-22 kernel and it worked without any problems as well.
I hope this will help in some way.
Comment 3 Glen Foster 2001-08-01 13:43:17 EDT
Closing at customer's request.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.