Bug 218184 - gnutls 1.6.0 has been released
gnutls 1.6.0 has been released
Status: CLOSED RAWHIDE
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: gnutls (Show other bugs)
rawhide
All Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Tomas Mraz
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2006-12-02 16:27 EST by Matthias Clasen
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:11 EST (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2007-09-17 05:37:30 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Matthias Clasen 2006-12-02 16:27:04 EST
Might be nice to get it into rawhide before test1.
Comment 1 Steve Grubb 2007-09-16 08:09:08 EDT
gnutls is now at 2.0. This should probably be scheduled for inclusion early in
F9 development cycle.
Comment 2 Alex Lancaster 2007-09-16 08:21:16 EDT
Why wait that long?  There are a number of bug fixes included in gnutls, see:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/news.html

some of which fix a lot of problems with accessing POP servers.  At least
include the last stable 1.6.3 release in at least F8, and with an update for F7
some time down the line.
Comment 3 Alex Lancaster 2007-09-16 08:34:40 EDT
I just noticed that gnutls is used as a shared library in many applications that
it might be non-trivial to update if the .so version is bumped because it will
require a lot of rebuilds.  Hmm...

$ rpm -q gnutls --provides 
libgnutls-extra.so.13  
libgnutls-extra.so.13(GNUTLS_1_2)  
libgnutls-openssl.so.13  
libgnutls.so.13  
libgnutls.so.13(GNUTLS_1_3)  
gnutls = 1.4.5-2.fc7

$ rpm -q --whatrequires libgnutls.so.13
gnutls-devel-1.4.5-2.fc7
bug-buddy-2.18.0-2.fc7
loudmouth-1.2.2-3.fc7
gnutls-1.4.5-2.fc7
wireshark-0.99.6-1.fc7
libsoup-2.2.100-1.fc7
evolution-webcal-2.10.0-1.fc7
gnutls-utils-1.4.5-2.fc7
libtranslate-0.99-9.fc6
mutt-1.5.14-4.fc7
wireshark-gnome-0.99.6-1.fc7
ntfsprogs-1.13.1-6.fc7
liferea-1.2.19-3.fc7
evolution-data-server-1.10.3.1-2.fc7
gtk-gnutella-0.96.4-1.fc7
seahorse-1.0.1-6.fc7
cups-libs-1.2.12-4.fc7
cups-1.2.12-4.fc7
vlc-0.8.6c-4.lvn7
evolution-2.10.3-4.fc7
Comment 4 Steve Grubb 2007-09-16 08:36:30 EDT
In reply to comment #2, we are after Test2 and in a string freeze. Changing
major revs needs to be done earlier. Its my opinion that we should be on 1.6.3
right now since 2.0 came out during the Test2 freeze. But because we are post
Test2, API should be stabilizing and new features not being added. Jumping to
2.0 would likely cause several apps to need recompiling and who knows what
breakage that would cause.
Comment 5 Leo 2007-09-16 08:38:41 EDT
Please upgrade this package to solve many problems we poor users of Fedora have.
Comment 6 Leo 2007-09-16 08:41:38 EDT
(In reply to comment #4)
> In reply to comment #2, we are after Test2 and in a string freeze. Changing
> major revs needs to be done earlier. Its my opinion that we should be on 1.6.3
> right now since 2.0 came out during the Test2 freeze. But because we are post
> Test2, API should be stabilizing and new features not being added. Jumping to
> 2.0 would likely cause several apps to need recompiling and who knows what
> breakage that would cause.

Your argument is correct. However the original bug report was in 2006 and it
hasn't been fixed. Actually there are many bugs reported and never get fixed. A
real discourage for us to report bugs.
Comment 7 Jonathan Underwood 2007-09-16 10:57:50 EDT
Development freeze for F8 is not until after test 3 on or after 4th October.
String freeze is no reason to not upgrade to version 2 for F8. I suspect the
maintainer of this package is AWOL, however.
Comment 8 Tomas Mraz 2007-09-17 05:37:30 EDT
There is already gnutls-1.6.3 in rawhide for quite some time. gnutls-2 will not
be included in rawhide before F8 release - too late for that as we are past
feature freeze. I'll release gnutls-1.6.3 in testing updates for F7 today.
Comment 9 Alex Lancaster 2007-09-18 18:30:30 EDT
By the way, since this update closes this bug it should be added to the bodhi
report here:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/testing/F7/gnutls-1.6.3-2.fc7

so that the link to the bug number goes out in the update announcement to note
that it is fixed.

(Side note: I don't seem to be getting bugmail from bugzilla when somebody posts
a comment here, even though I'm Cc'ed, is anybody else seeing this?)

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.