Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 218343
Samba using LDAP causes data loss, update to 3.0.23d
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:11:50 EST
Description of problem:
When samba is configured to use LDAP as its password database, the following
error will be repeated often in the host.log files:
[2006/12/01 08:33:44, 0] lib/smbldap.c:smbldap_open(1009)
smbldap_open: cannot access LDAP when not root..
This is a known problem, see https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4097,
and has been fixed in 3.0.23d.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Configure samba to use LDAP as its password backend
passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://ldap-r.ottix.com/
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Configure samba to use LDAP as its password backend
2. Use windows explorer on a WinXPPro client to browse a directory tree on the
3. Create a new MSWord document and save to the directory tree. Often
the "save as" will not work, and then subsequent "save"s (Cntrl-S) will
also silently fail.
1. Lots of "smbldap_open: cannot access LDAP when not root.." in the host.log
2. New document not created on the server. Extremely unhappy users.
This problem is documented as Samba bug 4097.
So it will be fine in 3.0.24 then, too.
Please reopen if it doesn't work as expected.