Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 218741
Gaim 2.0.0-0.26.beta5 cannot connect to jabber accounts that uses old-ssl option
Last modified: 2008-03-03 09:04:41 EST
Description of problem:
The latest gaim update
(https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=217335) fixed the crash
problem. However, it cannot connect to the jabber servers that forces us to use
old-ssl port (5223)
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Start gaim
2. Create a jabber account and use "force old ssl" in jabber options
3. Login to that account. It fails.
Got "Invalid response from server" message.
It can login in beta4, so I expected it to login successfully again.
Please do this:
1) Buddy List
3) Debug Window
4) Then attempt a login to the jabber server.
5) Copy the relevant part from the debug window into a text file.
6) Attach that text file here.
Can you find any public Jabber server that exhibits this behavior? Or could you
create an account on a private server to allow gaim developers to test this?
Created attachment 151817 [details]
debug log as requested
This is the debug log as reque4sted from the latest gaim rpms:
Created attachment 151818 [details]
debug log from homebuilt gaim 184.108.40.206beta6
I built gaim 220.127.116.11beta6 from source on the same machine as the previous
comment, and it connected just fine, as the attached log shows.
I have got to the bottom of this. I took the FC6 SRPM and disabled use of
cyrus-sasl in the spec and rebuilt. Problem disappears.
You could probably have avoided recompiling without SASL support by installing
some appropriate cyrus SASL mechanisms instead (cyrus-sasl-md5 &
cyrus-sasl-plain would be a good start)
Those are installed. Yum shows:
cyrus-sasl-md5.x86_64 2.1.22-4 installed
cyrus-sasl-plain.x86_64 2.1.22-4 installed
I had the same results as Andrew. Connecting to our corporate Jabber server with
Gaim 2.0.0-0.31.beta6 resulted in a message that said "Invalid response from
server". When I recompiled the RPM without cyrus-sasl support, everything
worked. Like Andrew, I also have cyrus-sasl-md5 and cyrus-sasl-plain installed.
In my debug logs, I was seeing two "sasl" lines with "DIGEST-MD5 client step 2",
even though the first time seemed to succeed. Unlike Andrew's logs, which show
"Must see 'algorithm' once. Didn't see at all" after the second "DIGEST-MD5
client step 2" line, my logs said something like "No response from server".
Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the logs and I'd have to reinstall the
broken version to get them.
This bug is no longer valid as of recent Pidgin releases. It can be closed.