Description of problem:
Unable to install RHEL5 B2 (2747)as a guest on a VMWare Server
RHEL5 will not currently install under VMWare version 2.54 or 3.x
After proceeding normally for some time, the RHEL5 install stops
when trying to partition disk, saying it can find no storage.
Also tried to boot with 'linux noprobe' and then select 'buslogic scsi'
from the drivers.
But there is no buslogic driver in the boot image.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
RHEL5 B2 rev 2747
Install RHEl5 B2 on a WMWare server and try to select storage
during storare configuration
Steps to Reproduce:
1. install thel5 b2 on VMware server
2. proceed to storage selection
3. install will fail
RHEL5 B2 install fails on VMWare server
Should be able to install RHEL5 B2 as a guest on VMWare server
This BZ is on behalf of AMEX who're in the middle of a POC for RHEl5
and want to compare Xen with VMWare so the ability to install RHEL5 on
VMWare is critical to them
Update on some testing :
It seems a workaround in VMWare 3.x can be :
- Configure VMWare to use LSI Logic SCSI emulation (Default is Buslogic)
- Configure VMware image Edit->Options->Version =
"Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4, 64 bit"
- Boot RHEL5-B2 media, at first prompt use 'linux noprobe'
- When prompted for device drivers, add 'LSI Logic Fusion MPT SPI Host
- This will automatically also add in the mptbase driver
- Continue install normally.
Curtis was unable to test this with VMWare 2.54, but this is confirmed to work
at least for 3.x
Hello, Jan. Does this problem still exist with the RHEL5.1 beta kernel?
the issues has been resolved a while ago.
It actually was fixed as part of an update to the ESX product of
VMware (I believe RHEL5 is now fully supported on ESX 3.0.4)