Bug 221126 - audacity, fc6: immediate segmentation error in gdk library on running
audacity, fc6: immediate segmentation error in gdk library on running
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: audacity (Show other bugs)
i386 Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Gérard Milmeister
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
Depends On:
  Show dependency treegraph
Reported: 2007-01-02 05:01 EST by simd
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:11 EST (History)
0 users

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Last Closed: 2007-01-13 13:39:10 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---

Attachments (Terms of Use)
Log of trace output (128.70 KB, text/plain)
2007-01-04 16:06 EST, simd
no flags Details

  None (edit)
Description simd 2007-01-02 05:01:10 EST
Description of problem:
After downloading audacity (pirut), on running it in FC6, was preseneted with a
dialog asking me to select a language (selected english). After pressing ok it
crashed with the following error:

Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkfont.c: line 337 (gdk_string_width): assertion `font !=
NULL' failed.
Segmentation fault

How reproducible:
Have uninstalled and re-installed. Have also tried the other version from livna.
Always the same.
? Missing dependency ?

All software on the system has been loaded directly using pirut, using fedora
core, updates, extras, and livna repositories.

Have seen another (German) user report exactly the same problem:
Comment 1 Gérard Milmeister 2007-01-02 07:13:35 EST
Seems to be a missing font issue.
Please provide the output of:
rpm -qa | grep fonts
Comment 2 simd 2007-01-02 10:02:40 EST
Yes, I've tried loading what I could find..
rpm -qa | grep fonts gives:

Comment 3 Gérard Milmeister 2007-01-02 10:35:03 EST
Fonts seem to be ok.
What is your LANG setting? Try to start audacity with "CFLAGS=C audacity".
There is a new build of audacity (1.2.6) on its way. Try again with the new version.
If everything fails, provide the output of "strace -f audacity".
Comment 4 simd 2007-01-02 12:01:54 EST
LANG setting made no difference.
OK, will wait till the new build gets released.
Comment 5 simd 2007-01-04 16:06:43 EST
Created attachment 144843 [details]
Log of trace output 

Output of the command:
strace -f audacity 2> Desktop/audacity.log

This was done following installation of the new audacity version today.
The program still crashes on first running with:

Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkfont.c: line 337 (gdk_string_width): assertion `font
!= NULL' failed.
Comment 6 simd 2007-01-04 16:17:59 EST
Hope this helps! Looking at the trace output, I have the suspicion that the font
is a redherring - the program seems to have got into some sort of a loop...

Looking around, I have found this has happened to other users, eg:
(I tried this - it didn't work).

So I suspect there is a bug in audacity somewhere, or a build issue... 

Comment 7 Gérard Milmeister 2007-01-04 19:13:13 EST
You can try to move the .gtkrc* files in your home directory out of the way
temporarily. You may run gdb with audacity-debuginfo installed, but I doubt this
will give any useful information. Otherwise you should report the bug upstream.
I cannot reproduce the bug on my machine...
Comment 8 simd 2007-01-07 11:15:38 EST
Good news :-))
Have just updated to the new, new version (1.3.2 beta), and it RUNS!!!
Thx for the help.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.