Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 223531
Make pulseaudio a drop-in replacement for esound
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:11:53 EST
We want to switch to pulseaudio as the default sound daemon for fc7.
The only realistic way to achieve that is via the esd-compat support
of pulseaudio. For that, the compat script that pulseaudio installs
must be called /usr/bin/esd instead of /usr/bin/esdcompat, which will
make pulseaudio conflict with the esound package. That should be fine
once we have split esound into esound and esound-libs.
Pierre, any progress on this ?
We'd really like to have this in place for test2
The esound/esound-libs split has happened by now.
Created attachment 147374 [details]
Here is a patch to make pulseaudio install /usr/bin/esd. Please ?
I'm just overworked, no need to beg. :)
This patch poses a problem though, you can't have pulse and esd in at the same
time. So I suggest splitting the esd script to its own file.
Also, I'm not sure the esd tools should be packaged with the daemon. You might
still want the tools even though you use pulse's esd compat stuff. (e.g. contact
another esd server).
Well, the idea is that pulseaudio and esound conflict, so you can have only one
of the two installed. That was the reason for splitting esound-libs off the main
esound package - nothing requires esound anymore, only /usr/bin/esd, which can
be provided either by esound or pulseaudio
It is certainly possible to split off esound-tools, too, if you think there is a
need for that.
I don't see a value in creating a conflict where there is none. I propose a
esound-compat package that Conflicts: with esound.
I would think that esound-tools is needed. Another use case if you want to debug
the esound support because some esound using application is misbehaving.
That works too. I assume you want to remove the Conflicts line from the main
I'll look into splitting off esound-tools.
That -compat-esd package works fine for me, with the hal that is in tomorrows
Would be great to see pulseaudio-esound-compat in rawhide soon, so that we can
start pulling things together for test2
I'm waiting for a response on bug 223534 so I can push that update at the same