Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 224260
Sporadic crashes of X server on logoff
Last modified: 2018-04-11 05:43:14 EDT
Description of problem: Occasionally, when logging off, the X server would
crash. This confuses kdm, but the host is otherwise fine and I can log in
through ssh and kill kdm which then restarts OK.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
It happens sporadically, about once in two or three days.
Steps to Reproduce:
After logging off, the graphical screen is blank and kdm does not come up.
Being able to logon again after logoff.
Additional info: The problem also occurred under GNOME and with the version of
X.org preceding the updated version above. The video card is a Matrox G400.
In /var/log/messages, I see
Jan 24 20:58:40 camelot kdm: :0: IO Error in XOpenDisplay
Jan 24 20:58:40 camelot kdm: Display :0 cannot be opened
Jan 24 20:58:40 camelot kdm: Unable to fire up local display :0;
Created attachment 146462 [details]
Created attachment 146463 [details]
Note that I am not loading dri on purpose, used to experience crashes on my
Matrox when loading it.
This might be related to bug #216927 and bug #219249.
I am not sure if I am getting a related problem but recently I have been getting
periodic X crashes also.... the only relevant line in the messages file today was
Jan 30 19:15:10 home1 kdm: Can't lock pid file /var/run/kdm.pid,
another xdm is running (pid 2827)
This line was repeated a large number of times (Every few seconds) until I
logged in via ssh and shutdown the machine - I guess restarting kdm might have
been possible also.
I have also noticed that occasionally I have been logged off my KDE session
overnight - but X is still running and I can still log back in when that happens.
If there are other simple tests I can run if this happens again then please let
My hardware is a Dell Core Duo based machine with graphics from dmidecode as:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV380 [Radeon X600 (PCIE)]
01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV380 [Radeon X600]
All drivers are stock and am running the latest kernel - 2.6.19-1.2895.fc6
I have today been getting what appeared to be sporadic X crashes in that the
screensaver was frozen on the screen, the mouse could not intervene, and the
keyboard was frozen. I found I could log in via ssh and saw that
ksolarwinds.kss was running as the screensaver. Doing "killall ksolarwinds.kss"
killed the screensaver and returned the session to normal.
Perhaps this has a bearing on this bug?
xorg-x11-server-1.1.1-47.6.fc6 has been pushed for fc6, which should resolve this issue. If these problems are still present in this version, then please make note of it in this bug report.
I am now running the following after today's updates
The problem remains.
There are no relevant messages in the logs that I can find. Again it was a gl
screensaver that crashed when trying to move the mouse to return to the kde
session. Using ssh to login to the system and running "killall ksolarwinds.kss"
returned the session to normal. So I am now sure that X itself had crashed but
the gl screensaver certainly had caused a problem.
Type - in comment #7 I should have said that was "I am not sure that X itself
had crashed" - even though the screensaver had hung the session. Since merely
killing the screensaver returned the x session to normal.
Mike, could you please file a separate bug for your issue, together with
/etc/X11/xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log? Also could you try to run X without
any /etc/X11/xorg.conf whatsoever? What happens then (and attach the
/var/log/Xorg.0.log)? If you put all this information into new bug, that would
be most helpful.
Davide, could you also try to upgrade to the above-mentioned version of Xorg
packages and let us know, whether anything changes (and please attach also the
same what I just asked Mike to give us). Thanks a lot.
OK - created bug 230691.
I am currently running xorg-x11-server-1.1.1-47.6.fc6 on x86_64, a different
host, and the problem does no longer occurs. I'll be testing the updated RPM
on the original hardware (which I no longer use) over the weekend.
I have been unable to reproduce the original problem using
xorg-x11-server-1.1.1-47.6.fc6 on the original host over the last three days.
The problem occurred sporadically, but I dare say it was fixed.
OK, let's try to fix it. If the problem occurs again, please reopen this bug and
add additional information.