We have recently updated some servers which provide remote gdm login sessions
using X to a gnome desktop from FC3 to FC5, and have noticed them running slowly
at times. The reason seems that when there are enough sessions, we are hitting
the bandwidth limit on one of our network links, and this in turn seems to be a
consequence of the network traffic involved being 3 or 4 times what it used to
be compared to FC3. FC6 is similarly bloated. I am not entirely sure which
package is causing this, but it affects most applications including the gdm
login, so I suspect it is some low level library like gtk2.
Fedora apologizes that these issues have not been resolved yet. We're
sorry it's taken so long for your bug to be properly triaged and acted
on. We appreciate the time you took to report this issue and want to
make sure no important bugs slip through the cracks.
If you're currently running a version of Fedora Core between 1 and 6,
please note that Fedora no longer maintains these releases. We strongly
encourage you to upgrade to a current Fedora release. In order to
refocus our efforts as a project we are flagging all of the open bugs
for releases which are no longer maintained and closing them.
If this bug is still open against Fedora Core 1 through 6, thirty days
from now, it will be closed 'WONTFIX'. If you can reporduce this bug in
the latest Fedora version, please change to the respective version. If
you are unable to do this, please add a comment to this bug requesting
Thanks for your help, and we apologize again that we haven't handled
these issues to this point.
The process we are following is outlined here:
We will be following the process here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/HouseKeeping to ensure this
doesn't happen again.
And if you'd like to join the bug triage team to help make things
better, check out http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers
We decided in the end that the problem was that 16-bit colour was taking up much
more bandwidth than 24-bit colour in the newer versions of Fedora, but in the
end we moved to a vnc based solution that was more efficient that either of them.