Bug 22658 - Apache problem with mod_auth_db and db_open
Apache problem with mod_auth_db and db_open
Status: CLOSED WONTFIX
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: apache (Show other bugs)
7.0
i686 Linux
medium Severity high
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Joe Orton
Need Real Name
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2000-12-21 06:27 EST by Need Real Name
Modified: 2007-04-18 12:30 EDT (History)
0 users

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2004-09-21 06:48:19 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Need Real Name 2000-12-21 06:27:53 EST
I've been trying to build Apache 1.3.14 from tarball on Linux 7.0
using DSO.  The problem comes with mod_auth_db.  Trying httpd -t
gives
  Cannot load /etc/httpd/modules/mod_auth_db.so into server:
  undefined symbol: db_open
 
The problem is that I didn't build the box.  Somebody else did and
did a selective install of what he thought would be needed.  So to
figure out where the problem was, I put on a tarball of 1.3.12 that
I've successfully used on 6.2 and used my standard .configure
options. That failed with the same problem.  That seems to eliminate
changes between 1.3.12 and 1.3.14 as the problem.
 
I did an RPM database dump of glibc and looked for the Berkeley db
stuff, since I figured that was the most likely problem.  I couldn't
see it. So I hauled the sources of 2.7-7 from Sleepycat and installed
them. Later, of course, I found the db stuff split off from glibc.
 
Nothing I try seems to work.  I've re-installed db1, 2 and 3 with
--force.  I still can't find a db.h for db3 (which may be the root
of the problem).  Maybe the install of db2-2.7.7 was the problem.
There's a /usr/include/db.h for 2.7.7, so I removed it (after first
doing a dump of the entire RPM database to check that it shouldn't
be there).  Then make said that mod_auth_dbm complained it couldn't
find that file.  So I soft linked it to the glibc equivalent (after
checking it was the right thing).  Apache compiled.  And after all
that, db_open still can't be found by mod_auth_db.so.
 
I can't find any RPM that provides a db.h for db3.  From what I
understand of the code, mod_auth_db checks DB_MAJOR_VERSION so
shouldn't be trying to use the db3 routines anyway.
 
I've tried loads of other things mentioned in the Apache bugs
database to work around problems with mod_auth_db in earlier
versions, just on the off-chance.  I checked the Red Hat database.
I've tried the suggestion to use -gdbm to resolve problems with
mod_perl being built with db3.  I am trying to include mod_perl in
1.3.14, but I tried leaving it out.  Same problem.  Just rechecked
with 1.3.12 using my standard config options (no mod_perl) and the
problem is still there.
Any ideas?
Comment 1 Nalin Dahyabhai 2001-01-11 23:03:06 EST
The db.h for db3 should be in the db3-devel subpackage (as /usr/include/db.h). 
There are some issues that crop up when you have multiple dbX-devel packages
installed which make an Apache build procedure get strange (the configure script
finds libndbm.so, provided by db2-devel, and thus links in db2, and then links
in db3 because it provides libdb.so).
Comment 2 Need Real Name 2001-01-12 09:51:54 EST
Can you tell me where the header file for each db package should live?  Looks
like I have the db2 header in /usr/include.  If you can confirm that should be
the db3 header then I have problems and the others could be in the wrong places.
Comment 3 Nalin Dahyabhai 2001-01-12 10:49:32 EST
The /usr/include/db.h header is part of db3-devel (which matches what you get
when you link using -ldb).  All of the other header files for versions of
Berkeley DB should be located under /usr/include/db1 or /usr/include/db2 or
/usr/include/db3, respectively.
Comment 4 Need Real Name 2001-01-12 16:23:00 EST
Just checked the output of rpm -qail.  It has the following db.h files supplied
by package compat-glibc:

    /usr/i386-glibc21-linux/include/db.h
    /usr/i386-glibc21-linux/include/db1/db.h

None of the sleepycat db1, 2 or 3 packages supply a db.h.  Nothing else in
that rpm listing supplies a db.h.  Do these come from some other package
the guy who built the box didn't install or did the splitting out of the
sleepycat stuff from glibc cause some header files to get lost?  Or am I
losing the plot?
Comment 5 Nalin Dahyabhai 2001-01-12 16:32:39 EST
The db1/db2/db3 packages only supply shared libraries.  The headers and static
libraries are in db1-devel/db2-devel/db3-devel, which apparently were not
installed when the system was built.  These can be gotten from
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/releases/guinness/i386/en/RedHat/RPMS/ or the
equivalent directory on a mirror.
Comment 6 Need Real Name 2001-01-15 09:37:54 EST
Got the sources.  Did a --rebuild on them to get the devel rpms (it apears only
db1-devel is on the 7.0 CD).  Did an rpm --Uvh --force on all of the db rpms
generated by the rebuilds, not just the devel ones.  Did a make clean,
configure, make, make install on Apache.  Uncommented the auth_db lines
in httpd.conf.  Same error - cannot find symbol for db_open.
Comment 7 Joe Orton 2004-09-21 06:48:19 EDT
Thanks for the report.  This is a mass bug update; since this release
of Red Hat Linux is no longer supported, please either:

a) try and reproduce the bug with a supported version of Red Hat
Enterprise Linux or Fedora Core, and re-open this bug as appropriate
after changing the Product field, or,

b) if relevant, try and reproduce this bug using the current version
of the upstream package, and report the bug upstream.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.