Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 230073
cups-lpd : server-args has no effect
Last modified: 2010-10-22 09:21:13 EDT
We are sending icds compressed AFP (Advanced Function Presentation) Datastream
from our Z/OS System to mobile Linux Systems via lpd protocol. On the Linux
Systems based on rhel5-client-rc1 we have configured a server argument for
cups-lpd in /etc/xinetd.d/cups-lpd:
# default: off
# description: Allow applications using the legacy lpd protocol to communicate
disable = no
socket_type = stream
protocol = tcp
wait = no
user = lp
server = /usr/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd
server_args = -o document-format=application/icds
We did this to enforce that everything that comes in via lpd has to pass our
cups filter icds2ps. Therefore we have two files /etc/cups/icds.types and
/etc/cups/icds.convs (see attached files)
Description of problem:
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
Created attachment 148794 [details]
*** Bug 230074 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
You need to adjust the existing /etc/cups/mime.convs, not create a new xxx.convs
If this is not the problem you are describing, please be more specific regarding
the observed behaviour compared to the expected behaviour. Thanks.
The mime.convs manpage show the following:
The mime.convs file defines the filters that are available for convert-
ing files from one format to another. The standard filters support
text, PDF, PostScript, HP-GL/2, and many types of image files.
Additional filters can be added to the mime.convs file or (preferably)
to other files in the CUPS configuration directory.
In RHEL4 that workes fine for us.
But this is not the main problem. Cups did not recognize that the incoming Data
is not application/octet-stream but application/icds
STR #2266 concerns the document-format problem, and I've included a patch in
that bug report.
I'm still investigating the '*.convs' issue -- of course, you're correct that it
should read icds.convs (I didn't know that feature), but something is preventing
that from happening on my test machine.
Ah, figured it out -- I needed to add "application/icds" to mime.types as well
so that the MIME type was recognized, and I also needed to make sure the filter
existed in /usr/lib/cups/filter.
So I think CUPS STR #2266 is the bug.
Hm. A file /etc/cups/icds.types containing "application/icds" should work also.
That's what we did in RHEL4. Will the fix for #2266 be contained in rhel5.0?
No, the fix will not be in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5, but I hope to include it
in an update.
Having a separate .types file works fine -- I'd missed your original comment
about 'icds.types' and didn't think of trying that, that's all.
This request was evaluated by Red Hat Product Management for inclusion in a Red
Hat Enterprise Linux maintenance release. Product Management has requested
further review of this request by Red Hat Engineering, for potential
inclusion in a Red Hat Enterprise Linux Update release for currently deployed
products. This request is not yet committed for inclusion in an Update
There is an upstream patch available (see 'external bugzilla references' below).
An advisory has been issued which should help the problem
described in this bug report. This report is therefore being
closed with a resolution of ERRATA. For more information
on the solution and/or where to find the updated files,
please follow the link below. You may reopen this bug report
if the solution does not work for you.