Bug 232809 - German translation broken
German translation broken
Status: CLOSED RAWHIDE
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: system-config-services (Show other bugs)
rawhide
All Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Nils Philippsen
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2007-03-18 04:45 EDT by Frank Arnold
Modified: 2009-09-21 16:35 EDT (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2007-04-25 10:13:44 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
Translation fix (7.01 KB, patch)
2007-03-18 04:45 EDT, Frank Arnold
no flags Details | Diff
Copyright sign fix (993 bytes, patch)
2007-03-18 04:47 EDT, Frank Arnold
no flags Details | Diff

  None (edit)
Description Frank Arnold 2007-03-18 04:45:56 EDT
Version: system-config-services-0.9.6

With the current German translation some umlauts are mangled due to some
encoding issue. The current POT-File seems to be broken too.

An example:
Is: "Dienste für den _Bedarfsfall"
Should be: "Dienste für den _Bedarfsfall"

Maybe this is caused by a UTF-8 copyright sign inside an original message of
serviceconf.py. It's probably better to avoid non-ASCII chars inside source
messages. Something in the toolchain might get confused. 

I'll attach separate patches for both. Fixed up some translations too.
Comment 1 Frank Arnold 2007-03-18 04:45:56 EDT
Created attachment 150327 [details]
Translation fix
Comment 2 Frank Arnold 2007-03-18 04:47:39 EDT
Created attachment 150328 [details]
Copyright sign fix
Comment 3 Timo Trinks 2007-03-18 18:09:11 EDT
Fixed in latest Fedora HEAD branch
Comment 4 Nils Philippsen 2007-04-25 10:13:44 EDT
Timo, changing the translated string doesn't help as the problem is with the
source, i.e. untranslated string.

I've found that the problem is with xgettext itself (which erroneously treats
source UTF-8 as ISO-something or so) and that upgrading to the version currently
available upstream (0.16.1) would help (see bug #237786).

Meanwhile, I've worked around this manually and committed a fixed *.pot file as
well as fixed up the translations where I could, i.e. I replaced "©" or "(c)"
with "©" where translations are up to date and removed the fuzzy keyword, or
left things alone where translations weren't up to date.

I'm building 0.9.7 with these changes now.
Comment 5 Timo Trinks 2007-04-25 18:41:52 EDT
Hi Nils,

should've made myself clearer - I never considered it as a translation error,
but sth going wrong upstream (with xgettext as you found out). Thanks for
fixing it, anyway...

Cheers,

Timo

(In reply to comment #4)
> Timo, changing the translated string doesn't help as the problem is with the
> source, i.e. untranslated string.
> 
> I've found that the problem is with xgettext itself (which erroneously treats
> source UTF-8 as ISO-something or so) and that upgrading to the version currently
> available upstream (0.16.1) would help (see bug #237786).
> 
> Meanwhile, I've worked around this manually and committed a fixed *.pot file as
> well as fixed up the translations where I could, i.e. I replaced "©" or "(c)"
> with "©" where translations are up to date and removed the fuzzy keyword, or
> left things alone where translations weren't up to date.
> 
> I'm building 0.9.7 with these changes now.

Comment 6 Nils Philippsen 2007-04-26 02:25:12 EDT
Hi Timo,

I just wasn't sure exactly what you did when you said "Fixed in latest Fedora
HEAD branch" -- I was pretty sure you didn't change the source code ;-).
Comment 7 Timo Trinks 2007-04-26 18:44:56 EDT
Hi Nils,

Nah, wouldn't have messed around with the sources... ;-)
When I saw the bugzilla comment I had a look at the respective
po-file which was ok in terms of UTF-8 encoding...

However, what I should've written instead of "Fixed in latest Fedora
HEAD branch" would be sth like "Not a translation or encoding error in the
respective po-file, needs to be looked at/fixed upstream (either tools or
pot-error)". Now we know that we have to blame xgettext :-).

Cheers,

Timo

(In reply to comment #6)
> Hi Timo,
> 
> I just wasn't sure exactly what you did when you said "Fixed in latest Fedora
> HEAD branch" -- I was pretty sure you didn't change the source code ;-).


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.