Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 233898
wrong system-config-network messages if locale charset is not UTF-8
Last modified: 2009-01-09 02:05:36 EST
Description of problem:
system-config-network displays translated messages in the wrong encoding if
system encoding is not UTF-8. In particular, I'm using ru_RU.CP1251 instead of
the default ru_RU.UTF-8: most applications don't care about this since gettext
automaticaly translates the messages from UTF-8 to current encoding, but for
some reason system-config-network is the only application I have seen that
displays question marks instead of Cyrillic glyphs.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Open a terminal
2. enter: LANG=ru_RU.CP1251 system-config-network
You will already see some question marks here and there instead of proper
messages. If you press "Create" (a new network connection) you will see that all
descriptions are all '?'s.
There should be no question marks except at the end of interrogative sentences :-)
Oops sorry, I have forgot that the ru_RU.CP1251 locale is not present in glibc
rpm by default (I create it manually with localedef). Instead, you can use the
ru_RU.KOI8-R locale in the command above; this locale is present by default.
Created attachment 299774 [details]
The diff against system-config-network 1.4.7-1
Okay, I have spent a couple of evenings to try to solve all kinds of problems I
have with system-config- stuff in my non-UTF8 locale. Here's a patch for
system-config-network. The patch is againsth system-config-network-1.4.7-1 as
found in the updates/8/SRPMS directory on fedora ftp, so I hope it's fresh
Here goes a short description of the changes.
- Fixed the Russian translation. It wasn't update for a long time it seems, and
there were many fuzzy translations that changed the sense to exactly opposing.
I hope it's okay to put it here, but if it is not, I can submit it as a
separate patch for the translation team.
- textdomain_codeset() should always request the utf-8 encoding for Gtk
programs! It was requesting locale.nl_langinfo(locale.CODESET) in many places
and Gtk behaves erratically (in the best case) if you feed it non-UTF8 strings.
system-config-firewall even crashes because of this.
- The console output use the locale.nl_langinfo(locale.CODESET) encoding since
they output to the terminal and that's the right encoding for the terminal.
- The console input (e.g. the output from ifup/ifdown etc) is decoded from
current locale encoding to utf-8.
- I have set the auto-size property of the columns in the device list since
with Russian translation the column widths are not enough and the text is cut
- I have enlarged a little (very little) some windows since even English text
does not fit.
I have built a test RPM and it works perfectly for me, I have tried the
And in all these locales the translation was perfect.
Fedora apologizes that these issues have not been resolved yet. We're
sorry it's taken so long for your bug to be properly triaged and acted
on. We appreciate the time you took to report this issue and want to
make sure no important bugs slip through the cracks.
If you're currently running a version of Fedora Core between 1 and 6,
please note that Fedora no longer maintains these releases. We strongly
encourage you to upgrade to a current Fedora release. In order to
refocus our efforts as a project we are flagging all of the open bugs
for releases which are no longer maintained and closing them.
If this bug is still open against Fedora Core 1 through 6, thirty days
from now, it will be closed 'WONTFIX'. If you can reporduce this bug in
the latest Fedora version, please change to the respective version. If
you are unable to do this, please add a comment to this bug requesting
Thanks for your help, and we apologize again that we haven't handled
these issues to this point.
The process we are following is outlined here:
We will be following the process here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/HouseKeeping to ensure this
doesn't happen again.
And if you'd like to join the bug triage team to help make things
better, check out http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers
The patch above actually applies to fedora 8 :-)
This message is a reminder that Fedora 8 is nearing its end of life.
Approximately 30 (thirty) days from now Fedora will stop maintaining
and issuing updates for Fedora 8. It is Fedora's policy to close all
bug reports from releases that are no longer maintained. At that time
this bug will be closed as WONTFIX if it remains open with a Fedora
'version' of '8'.
Package Maintainer: If you wish for this bug to remain open because you
plan to fix it in a currently maintained version, simply change the 'version'
to a later Fedora version prior to Fedora 8's end of life.
Bug Reporter: Thank you for reporting this issue and we are sorry that
we may not be able to fix it before Fedora 8 is end of life. If you
would still like to see this bug fixed and are able to reproduce it
against a later version of Fedora please change the 'version' of this
bug to the applicable version. If you are unable to change the version,
please add a comment here and someone will do it for you.
Although we aim to fix as many bugs as possible during every release's
lifetime, sometimes those efforts are overtaken by events. Often a
more recent Fedora release includes newer upstream software that fixes
bugs or makes them obsolete.
The process we are following is described here:
Fedora 8 changed to end-of-life (EOL) status on 2009-01-07. Fedora 8 is
no longer maintained, which means that it will not receive any further
security or bug fix updates. As a result we are closing this bug.
If you can reproduce this bug against a currently maintained version of
Fedora please feel free to reopen this bug against that version.
Thank you for reporting this bug and we are sorry it could not be fixed.