Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 235126
G965 Modesetting (intel) Branch problems
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:12:01 EST
I have a DG965OT motherboard with G965 graphics and an ADD2 card. I'm
displaying on a Viewsonic 2750w LCD tv. In fedora core 6, the intel driver
didn't work at all. In Core 7 Test 3 live CD, I get an option for 1280x720x60
which I believe is the native resolution. The problem is that there is a 1/2"
bar on the left side of the screen that looks blury. If I send the mouse all
the way to the right, I can see the white movement on the left. It's the mouse
cursor heavily distorted.
I'm also getting overscan, but I suppose that is expected on a LCD TV. My old
resolution of 1280x1024 perfectly filled the screen, but wasn't a wide screen
resolution so things were distorted.
This is the only error message:
(EE) intel(0): Unable to write to SDVOCTRL_E for SDVOB Slave 0x70
That message is repeated throughout Xorg.0.log about thirty times.
Thanks for your help!
Release Date: 14 March 2007
Everything seems to work perfectly if I use the VGA port. I have 1280x720x60
with no artifacts or overscan. It appears the problem is just with the DVI ADD2
card. I'm using a wintec ADD2 card: WINTEC 35111141-R
I purchased it from newegg:
Thanks for the bug report. We have reviewed the information you have provided
above, and there is some additional information we require that will be helpful
in our diagnosis of this issue.
Please attach your X server config file (/etc/X11/xorg.conf) and X server log
file (/var/log/Xorg.*.log) to the bug report as individual uncompressed file
attachments using the bugzilla file attachment link below.
Could you please also try to run without any /etc/X11/xorg.conf whatsoever and
let X11 autodetect your display and video card? Attach to this bug
/var/log/Xorg.0.log from this attempt as well, please.
We will review this issue again once you've had a chance to attach this information.
Thanks in advance.
Created attachment 151681 [details]
Created attachment 151683 [details]
This xorg.conf is created after I pick the intel driver using the display
settings GUI. If I have no xorg.conf, then the created file uses the i810
driver which doesn't do modesetting. So id don't think attaching the log will
be helpful for that case.
I tried installing the new xserver and xf86-video-intel driver from git (plus a
bunch of other packages trying to get them to compile. I finally got it working
but am getting the same visual errors.
Should I be creating an xorg bug report?
Could we get updated /var/log/Xorg.*.log and /etc/X11/xorg.conf (if different
from the previous one), please?
Created attachment 151873 [details]
New Xorg.0.log with fx86-video-intel, xserver, mesa, drm, etc. from git
Added new Xorg.0.log
I didn't use a Xorg.conf file this time. Things of note:
I think that was the same error as before.
(EE) intel(0): Unable to write to SDVOCTRL_E for SDVOB Slave 0x70.
Not sure if this is a problem or not. Maybe something I screwed up when trying
(II) Module fbdevhw: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 184.108.40.206, module version = 0.0.2
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 2.0
(EE) open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory
I think I misconfigured something here, since the end of the log file fills
[dbus] couldn't take over org.x.config: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied
(Connection ":1.26" is not allowed to own the service "org.x.config.display0"
due to security policies in the configuration file)
Compiz doesn't work any more. I'm guessing I need a new version now. Glxgears
works ok. Sample compiz errors:
compiz: pixmap 0x3e000c9 can't be bound to texture
compiz: Couldn't bind redirected window 0xe0002f to texture
Other then that I have to manually startx now after removing /tmp/.X0-lock
Let me know if I can get you anything else.
One other thing. I was trying to run the Abat test and is says that DRI is
name of display: :0.0
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: No
I don't see anything about this though in Xorg.0.log
I think glxinfo is lying. Ppracer and other games are working.
Fedora 7 test bugs should be filed against "devel", not against test1/2/3. This
isn't obvious, I know. Moving this report so it isn't lost.
This is a bulk message -- I apologize if this was actually meant to be targeted
against a different release. If so, please fix or let me know. Thanks.
Sorry, the problem was caused by an overscan setting on my lcd tv. Everything
looks great now. I'm running FC7 Devel. You can close this one - it was just
my own dumb error.