Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 236396
Sometimes evolution does not recognize attachments
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:12:02 EST
Description of problem:
In some emails I have received recently which contained attachments,
evolution only identified them as ``unknown attachment'', instead
of PDF, etc.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
It seems to be correlated with senders using Apple Mail (all examples use
Apple Mail 2.752.3 or 2.619). I am not sure if all Apple Mail emails with
attachments have this issue, and older ones may work better, so that it might
be a recent regression. (Specifically, the cutoff seems to be around the end
of January / beginning of February; there was an evolution update on
Steps to Reproduce:
Not clear how to reproduce this directly.
I can provide sample emails which cause problem.
I forgot to indicate that seamonkey has no trouble seeing all attachments,
as does the Horde webmail system, so it does not seem to be a matter of
malformed incoming messages.
Here is an update/workaround: the issue seems to be related to the
display of HTML messages as _plain text_. Specifically, I was setting
the configuration item ``Mail preferences/HTML Mail/Plain Text Mode'' to
``Prefer plain''. If I switch to ``Show HTML if present'', the attachments
display normally and are opened correctly.
Also, it is not a recent regression: I tested
on an FC4 system, and the same problem/workaround apply.
Thanks for the update from a few months ago and apologies for not getting to
your bug until now. Can you still reproduce this problem on Fedora 7 or later,
and if so could you post a sample mail containing one of these problematic
attachments so that I can try to reproduce the problem?
I have not update to FC7 (waiting for FC8). However, I may have time to try
with a LiveCD this weeked.
I will attach a simple test message that shows the problem in the current
versions for FC6.
[root@semillon ~]# grep evol /var/log/rpmpkgs
At the moment I am unable to create myself a problematic message. Those I have
in my mailbox are rather large and contain somewhat private information. I will
try to get a test case over the week-end.
I have tried the LiveCD version of FC 8 (Fedora 7.92 LiveCD i386) today,
and the problem is still present with:
[root@localhost tmp]# rpm -qa|grep evolution
The workaround (display HTML mail) still works.
Also, looking at other evolution bugs, this may be a duplicate of 239148, since
my problematic mails are also produced by Apple Mail, and I have been unable so
far to create a problem email using either Seamonkey, the Horde Webmail, or
I will add a comment to the bug 239148 to suggest the workaround, and try to
access a Mac to create a sample email with the problem.
Thanks for responding. A sample email would be of great help!
Created attachment 218581 [details]
This is a sample problematic email obtained by modifying one of mine. It
exhibits the problem at least on FC6 (I haven't tried again on the LiveCD, but
can do so if needed). It contains a single attachment which is a small PDF
Thanks for data.
Moving this upstream where we will continue to track the problem.
Please see  for further updates.