+++ This bug was initially created as a clone of Bug #235809 +++
Description of problem:
Using bind as a caching nameserver (without chroot) to connect to my ISP and to
RH's intranet (see attached named.conf). I played a little bit with opendns.com,
but now I have forwarders set only to the DNS server of my ISP provider
Suddenly I begun to getting resolutions of everything to 184.108.40.206 -- couple of
times before I suspected some kind of misconfiguration and after couple of
restarts the problem went away. Today, it didn't so I switched off all
forwarding and run 'service named restart'. bind crashed I was able to make bind
working only when:
a) I set up forwarder again (this time just to my ISP DNS server, not OpenDNS)
b) I used 'service named stop; service named start' with 'service named restart'
bind constantly crashes.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
-- Additional comment from firstname.lastname@example.org on 2007-04-10 05:52 EST --
Created an attachment (id=152124)
output of grep named /var/log/messages
-- Additional comment from email@example.com on 2007-04-10 05:53 EST --
Created an attachment (id=152125)
-- Additional comment from firstname.lastname@example.org on 2007-04-10 13:18 EST --
Optional schema is this:
When you want use named like caching-only nameserver, please install
caching-nameserver package and work with /etc/named.caching-nameserver.conf &
/etc/named.rfc1912.zones configfiles. If you want use named like local
nameserver, please config your own zones and put your configuration to
/etc/named.conf (for example with system-config-bind utility). This always works
better than "wild" configurations which you write :). But this end of named
(sigsegv) is really bad, so let me check it.
-- Additional comment from email@example.com on 2007-04-11 10:34 EST --
Just for the record -- I DID try system-config-bind and the results were exactly
the same as with my own named.conf (actually, the generated named.conf was the
same, so no surprise here).
-- Additional comment from firstname.lastname@example.org on 2007-04-27 10:15 EST --
Could be fixed in latest bind.
This request was evaluated by Red Hat Product Management for inclusion in a Red
Hat Enterprise Linux maintenance release. Product Management has requested
further review of this request by Red Hat Engineering, for potential
inclusion in a Red Hat Enterprise Linux Update release for currently deployed
products. This request is not yet committed for inclusion in an Update
An advisory has been issued which should help the problem
described in this bug report. This report is therefore being
closed with a resolution of ERRATA. For more information
on the solution and/or where to find the updated files,
please follow the link below. You may reopen this bug report
if the solution does not work for you.