Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 241462
Uses same name as Evolution 'Tasks' in menu
Last modified: 2014-03-16 23:07:08 EDT
Description of problem:
Not sure how to best solve it,but two entries with the same name isn't good.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Personally, I dislike the way Red Hat tries to pretend that Evolution is several
different applications by listing each component in the menus and hiding the
switcher buttons on the main window by default. It also confuses Bug Buddy to
no end, and seems to me a bit deceptive toward the unsuspecting end-user. Nor
do I understand why the menu items are spread across multiple Applications
I'd much prefer a single menu entry called "Email and Calendar" or something
thereabouts. Perhaps the inclusion of the Pimlico suite into Fedora will force
Yeah, sorry, noticed this post-review and was going to ask around after the F7
release for ideas on how to handle this.
+1 on disliking Evolution co-opting the Tasks .desktop name.
Seems like the options for avoiding the name collision are:
1. Change Evolution's .desktop names (Evolution Tasks, Evolution Calendar?)
* Is this at all likely to happen?
* Not desirable to do mid-release as an update to evo...
* The "right thing to do" IMHO
2. Change Tasks's .desktop name (Pimlico Tasks? File bugs w/ Dates and Contacts
to do similarly, even though they have no collision?)
* Easy to do expediently
* A change for fewer users, as the package is somewhat new
* "$projectname $appname" is not commonly used in other Fedora .desktop entries
Opinions are welcome.
I'm with Matthew - a single entry for Evo seems best, or at least renaming them
to Evolution Calendar, or somesuch.
Any chance Evo will get a single desktop entry before the F8 feature freeze?
No, I'm not gonna to pick this battle until after F8.
Fixed in evolution-2.21.1-fc9.
For Fedora 9, Evolution will have a single Applictions menu entry called
"Evolution Mail and Calendar".