Bug 242894 - UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc5 in position 14: ordinal not in range(128)
Summary: UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc5 in position 14: ordi...
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Alias: None
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: smolt   
(Show other bugs)
Version: 7
Hardware: All Linux
low
medium
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Mike McGrath
QA Contact: Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2007-06-06 09:32 UTC by Tomasz Torcz
Modified: 2007-11-30 22:12 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

Fixed In Version: 0.9.8.3-1.fc7
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2007-07-11 15:19:17 UTC
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

Description Tomasz Torcz 2007-06-06 09:32:16 UTC
Description of problem:
Smolt have problems running with non-"C" locale

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
smolt-0.9.8.1-1.fc7

How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Set locale to pl_PL.UTF-8
2. Run smoltSendProfile from terminal

  
Actual results:
# smoltSendProfile 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/smoltSendProfile", line 103, in <module>
    for line in profile.getProfile():
  File "/usr/share/smolt/client/smolt.py", line 380, in getProfile
    printBuffer.append('\t%s: %s' % (label, data))
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc5 in position 14: ordinal
not in range(128)
# 


Additional info:

Comment 1 Leszek Matok 2007-06-22 10:23:14 UTC
It's broken for a longer time that I've suspected, so it's time for me to say:
me too.

The same crash happens under pl_PL, with FC6 and Rawhide.

It doesn't happen with en_US{.UTF-8}, es_ES.{UTF-8} and some other languages
I've tried. Looks like Polish translation is simply broken. It can be caused by
smolt translation or some glibc/whatever thing. Just in case, I'm adding raven
to Cc:

The bug also can be a cause of "pl_PL" disappearing completely from
smolt.fp.o/stats :(

Comment 2 Piotr Drąg 2007-06-22 10:33:58 UTC
Polish translation file seems to be ok. Crash happens here too. :(

Comment 3 Mike McGrath 2007-06-22 13:37:13 UTC
Sorry this has taken so long, I've not been able to re-create this issue.  
I'll keep working on it.

Comment 4 Mike McGrath 2007-06-22 15:19:13 UTC
Ok, I think I've got this fixed.  The problem was with "Konstrukcja płyty 
głównej" Not being properly encoded when I try to print it to the screen.  A 
new version should be on the mirrors soon.  Please test and verify.

Comment 5 Fedora Update System 2007-07-11 15:19:13 UTC
smolt-0.9.8.3-1.fc7 has been pushed to the Fedora 7 stable repository.  If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.