Bug 243206 - yum upgrade fails on repomd.xml
yum upgrade fails on repomd.xml
Status: CLOSED NOTABUG
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: yum (Show other bugs)
7
i686 Linux
low Severity high
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: James Antill
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2007-06-07 17:42 EDT by Richard Hitt
Modified: 2014-01-21 17:58 EST (History)
0 users

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2007-06-08 10:56:22 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Richard Hitt 2007-06-07 17:42:22 EDT
Description of problem:
To upgrade my fc6 system I followed the procedure at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq.  When I got to
4. Do the upgrade, "yum upgrade" failed with these messages:


http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/7/i386/repodata/repomd.xml:
[Errno -1] Error importing repomd.xml for updates: Damaged repomd.xml file
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: updates

At irc.freenode.net:#fedora Southern_Gentlem suggested I comment out the
mirrorlist statements and uncomment the baseurl statements but I got the same
results when I tried doing it either way.


Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
yum-3.0.6-1.fc6

How reproducible:
Reproducible every time.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install a Fedora Core 6 system
2. Attempt to upgrade to Fedora 7 using the instructions in the above URL
3. Note that at step 4, the yum upgrade produces the above error message.
  
Actual results:
yum upgrade fails

Expected results:
yum upgrade succeeds

Additional info:
None
Comment 1 Nick Stoughton 2007-06-07 23:41:28 EDT
The problem is your baseurl still contains "core" ... and F7 has no core
component. Try changing /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.updates.repo and remove the "core":

#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/$releasever/$basearch/

in each of the sections you have enabled
Comment 2 Don Lindsay 2007-06-10 14:49:27 EDT
This bug report should not have been closed.

The suggested fix is not to a file that the user wrote. It is to a file that was
shipped with Fedora 7. Specifically, rpm -q --whatprovides says that the file is
supplied by

fedora-release-7-3.noarch.rpm

So Fedora 7 needs to fix that RPM.

Comment 3 Don Lindsay 2007-06-10 15:19:22 EDT
I retract that last comment.

I deleted the offending files and re-installed them the RPM. The offending
"/core/" has gone away, implying that the new RPM is well formed.

I assume this means that my copy of the file was not "original", and therefore
when I upgraded to Fedora 7, the upgrade decided not to overwrite that specific
file. Silently.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.