Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 244625
Gnome volume control applet crashes frequently
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:12:07 EST
Description of problem:
Gnome volume control applet tends to keep crashing everytime I try to change my
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Try muting and unmuting a few of the controls. Then add a control from the
preferences screen, now change its state.
2. Now remove that control using the preferences screen.
3. Close the applet
1. Bug buddy comes up with crash details
2. This somehow messes up the gconf settings, rendering the desktop unusable the
next time it loads up
3. I need to remove the sound entry keys from ~/.gconf directory and get my
1. The applet should close without crashing
2. It should not mess up the gconf settings to the point that the desktop can
not be brought up again!
Since bug buddy is unable to file a bug against this component (this issue is
tracked via #244526), I had installed the devel packages and saved the stack to
a file. Attaching the file to this bug report.
Created attachment 157255 [details]
Stack trace of the crash
Could you please gather a stack trace with debuginfo packages installed? See
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/StackTraces for details.
I have a hard time believing this could make the desktop unusable though. If
something crashes or hangs when starting the desktop, please report a new bug.
Well,off late things seem to be stable. But trust me, once the gconf entries get
messed up, then the next time I restart the system, I can do a login, but I end
up with a background image only!!! No panel, no menus, nothing... zilch!
I am closing this bug since I am no longer able to reproduce this issue, but
since I have already downloaded the debug packages, I shall open the bug if it
It's probably the old esound bug that made the panel and a number of apps hang,
if you had enabled it in the prefs. Latest esound in F7 should have the bug fix.