Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 246004
fftw: epel branch/builds, rpmforge compatible
Last modified: 2007-07-12 12:59:43 EDT
Package Change Request
Package Name: fftw
New Branches: EL-5
I see that this package already has a EL-4 branch and email@example.com is
listed as maintainer for EPEL.
I went ahead and made the branch. Let me know if any other changes are needed.
That's correct; I should have thought to contact the existing maintainer.
Anyway, I need an fftw version >=3 to support octave in EPEL. The version in the
EL-5 branch is fftw 2. rdeiter, do you object to my putting version 3 in the
Sure, I'd like to coordinate compatibility with rpmforge. They have *strong*
feelings that fftw version 3 should be named fftw3.
I don't care strongly one way or the other, so I was planning on doing it that
way, just haven't gotten round-tuit yet.
I'll be away at akademy for the next week, and will likely have little time.
I'm ok with someone else building this for epel, provided they:
* make it named fftw3
* convince me soundly that naming it fftw3 is a bad idea, and build it named
fftw (like devel/ branch).
Gahh, I hate this kind of stuff:
- Isn't this backwards to what one usually does - name the latest version
without the major version and the older ones with it? What happens when fttw 4
comes out? The names get even sillier.
- Although, in this case, the libraries in fftw 3.x are actually called
libfftw3.. so in some sense it is upstream being silly too (though the tarball
is just fftw-3.X)
- Finally, I really just want fftw 3.X, and can't really get worked up about
what it's called. I'll make the necessary change in the BR and leave it
(hopefully) forever. Will get confused sometimes though comparing my EL systems
to my Fedora systems...
FYI, builds queue'd. Please test for sanity:
fwiw, even fedora's builds include
So using, BuildRequires: fftw3-devel
should work everywhere.
At knurd's suggestion, added Provides, appears safe in my own testing...
* Thu Jul 12 2007 Rex Dieter <rdieter[AT]fedoraproject.org> 3.1.2-5
- fftw3(-devel): Provides: fftw(-devel) = %version ...
- cleanup, +%check section (disabled by default)
* Tue Jul 10 2007 Rex Dieter <rdieter[AT]fedoraproject.org> 3.1.2-4
- (re)name -> fftw3 (epel-only, for rpmforge compatibility, #246004)
builds queue'd, closing->errata.