Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 246587
SMTP AUTH=client fails available mechanisms
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:12:09 EST
Description of problem:
Sendmail as an SMTP AUTH client does not even try to authenticate, despite
available mechanisms. The result is that sendmail fails to relay mail for
authenticated connections. The only workaround is to regress to a previous
version of sendmail from fc5.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Define SMART_HOST in sendmail.mc & compile to cf with m4
2. Define Authinfo "M:LOGIN PLAIN" in access & compile to db with makemap
3. Send mail which requires authenticated relaying
Packet capture shows that
1. sendmail EHLO elicits "250 AUTH LOGIN PLAIN" from SMART_HOST
2. sendmail sends "QUIT" immediately
3. sendmail logs "AUTH=client, available mechanisms do not fulfill requirements"
sendmail should authenticate using the perfectly adequate, available mechanisms
and relay mail
Removing the authinfo from access.db results in the correct "Authentication
Required" error in bounced mail, so sendmail is reading access.db. It just
doesn't authenticate when the proper authinfo really is present.
The same settings in sendmail-8.13.8-1.fc5 work fine in fc5.
After beating my head against this for yet more time, I installed
cyrus-sasl-plain, which solved the problem.
Hmmm... I'm disinclined to insist on adding cyrus-sasl-plain to the "Requires"
list, since most folks never use sendmail in client auth, but after Googling
like crazy, I would have expected a FAQ about it. Oh, well. Closing ....
The next package in devel will have a notice for this, thanks.