Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 247242
Dump output size determined incorrectly
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:12:09 EST
+++ This bug was initially created as a clone of Bug #206129 +++
Note: The patch that was applied to 2.5.0p2-4 to correct this issue in FC6 was
not included in the F7 build, and the patch never made it upstream from what I
Description of problem:
After amanda completes the backup of a volume using dump, it incorrectly
determines the number of bytes output (before compression, if any).
An example from one of my backup partitions (all of my partitions exhibit this
- From /var/log/amanda/sendbackup log:
sendbackup: time 2.190: 55: size(|): DUMP: 6670 blocks (6.51MB)
- From the amanda e-mail report (same size also in the partition's info file):
DUMPER STATS TAPER STATS
HOSTNAME DISK L ORIG-KB OUT-KB COMP% MMM:SS KB/s MMM:SS KB/s
-------------------------- ------------------------------------- -------------
amd64.intern /boot 0 3335 5504 165.0 0:02 2650.0 0:00 64182.8
The output size is always 1/2 of the number of blocks output by dump. It seems
like amanda may be counting on 512K block size as opposed to 1024K.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Configure and run an amanda dump backup
2. Compare the output size reported by dump to the size recorded in the status
e-mail and the data in the info file
Size computed is 1/2 the actual size.
Correct size computation.
The size estimates used by amanda for planning (before the dumps are performed)
are correctly calculated. This seems to really mess with the planner (at least
when using the bumppercent config option). The estimates come out approximately
double what amanda has in its history for the partition, causing it to not bump
to higher level (smaller) dumps.
I checked on both i386 and x86_64 machines in my environment, and this
miscalculation occurs on both platforms.
-- Additional comment from firstname.lastname@example.org on 2006-09-26 16:12 EST --
I've got a small patch that appears to work in my test setup. I have a few
other bugs to deal with before I push new packages, however.
I applied the patch to F7. I should be in updates-testing soon.
I also looked in current upstream version (2.5.2p1) and this bug is fixed in there.
amanda-2.5.1p3-2.fc7 has been pushed to the Fedora 7 testing repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
amanda-2.5.1p3-2.fc7 has been pushed to the Fedora 7 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.