Description of problem:
Kmail (no matter if run as a separate app or from kontact) since couple of
days indicates some read mail as new (unread).
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. open kmail
2. go to folder 'Foo' containing some mail from last 3-4 days
3. read all the mail in that folder, so that unread = 0
4. go to folder 'Bar'
5. go back to folder 'Foo' and notice that unread > 0 (mail You've just read
couple of seconds ago, are again marked as unread)
Previously read mail is marked as unread.
Previously read mail should not be re-marked as unread.
This messages are no more than 3-4 days old - but not all messages from this
period are re-marked as new. And I can't figure the key to figure out
I'm seeing this too, and haven't found out what might be triggering it either.
I didn't notice it before KDE 3.5.7, and not even immediately afterwards; I
think it has started happening in the past week or two.
(In reply to comment #1)
> I'm seeing this too, and haven't found out what might be triggering it
> I didn't notice it before KDE 3.5.7, and not even immediately afterwards; I
> think it has started happening in the past week or two.
Exactly the same here. This issue hit me couple of days after I've upgraded to
I did one thing couple of hours ago, and since then I don't see this issue:
for each mail folder:
- RMB -> "mark all messages as read"
- RMB -> "compress folder"
But it is difficult to say if it really fixes this behaviour - 4 hours is to
little to be sure ;)
This is something worthy of pushing/reporting upstream. Anyone do that yet?
(In reply to comment #3)
> This is something worthy of pushing/reporting upstream. Anyone do that yet?
I haven't reported it upstream. Of course I can do this, but I'm not
subscribed on kde* lists. Please, let me know: would You be so kind to report
it, or I should do it?
the process works best if you report the problems yourself, in case upstream
devs have questions, require feedback, suggest troubleshooting, etc...
Seems like this is already in KDE's bugzilla:
So the two kde* F-7 updates in a week or so are kde-settings and kdelibs. I'll
see if I catch this bug occurring again with the latest versions, if yes, then
backing down to the previous versions and see if I see it happening with them as
Got it happening with the old kdelibs too. After that, went back to the current
one, ran "Compact folder" on my Inbox, and this stuff hasn't happened since for
any folder (in two or so hours). My Inbox had some unread items at the time I
compacted it and still has.
(In reply to comment #8)
> ran "Compact folder" on my Inbox, and this stuff hasn't happened since for
> any folder (in two or so hours). My Inbox had some unread items at the time
> I compacted it and still has.
Yes, I've described it in comment #2 and more detailed check is reported in
comment #11 to referenced bug from KDE's bugzilla.
Sure, but there's a few differences between our reports: I didn't do the "mark
all messages as read" step that you described for any folder, and I compacted
only my inbox, no other folders, and doing only that seems to have fixed things
for all folders.
Same here. Fully update FC7 system.
The steps I took helped only for a little while. Now manual compacting needs to
be done always before switching from a folder to another one to preserve the
state of read mails.
Also, kmail has eaten all "important" and "todo" marks from all my mails, and
new marks disappears from newly marked mails as soon as I switch folders.
Compacting does not help with that, the marks just won't stick.
(In reply to comment #12)
> Also, kmail has eaten all "important" and "todo" marks from all my mails,
> and new marks disappears from newly marked mails as soon as I switch
> Compacting does not help with that, the marks just won't stick.
I confirm that behaviour - the same here.
I have no clue what happened - before my last report I stopped trying to tinker
with my ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail, and suddenly today things started working
again. No more read mails reappearing as unread, and marking work again.
Here's the set of updates installed between when I gave up and today when things
...as well as kernel-126.96.36.199-41.fc7.x86_64, but I tried booting with -33 too
and it works with it as well. Go figure.
(In reply to comment #14)
> I have no clue what happened - before my last report I stopped trying to
> with my ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail, and suddenly today things started working
Ville, after this upgrade kmail works OK here too.
And I've noticed some 'weird' things that IMHO _ARE_ related to this bug.
All of them are connected with system time.
1. After upgrade, when I rebooted system, during startup fsck told me sth.
"(...) node write time is in future, FIXED"
2. In /var/log/messages I see that before upgrade system time was messed up!
Eg. entries from today's first boot (before upgrade) are dated 1h 35m in the
future. After upgrade and reboot /var/log/messages shows correct date/time.
But I'm _SURE_ that during this all time I had KMail issues (last couple of
days) my "user visible" clock (on kde's bar) was showing time correctly.
3. Mail sent from logwatch@localhost was also wrongly dated.
4. KMail's issues _may_ be related to this, because several messages I've
recived were anormal, eg. some mail from "yesterday" had "yesterday" in date
column, but some other - "wednesday".
Of course, it was wednesday yesterday, but it is not normal to mark
differently mail from the same day.
kdepim-3.5.7-10.svn20070926.ent.fc7 has been pushed to the Fedora 7 testing repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
If you want to test the update, you can install it with
su -c 'yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update kdepim'
kdepim-3.5.7-10.svn20070926.ent.fc7 has been pushed to the Fedora 7 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.