From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:126.96.36.199) Gecko/20070803 Firefox/188.8.131.52 (Swiftfox)
Description of problem:
I have followed the connection instructions on both googletalk and the Pidgin web site to the letter and it refuses to connect to the googletalk server. I invariably get a "not authorised" error. I have attached the dump of the session.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Set-up Pidgin with the googletalk account as instructed.
2. Try to connect.
Error not authorised
It should have connected to googletalk.
I have tried all the fix attempts available on the Pidgin web site and on google. I have also tried Fedora 8 Live CD Test 1 with exactly the same results (precisely the same debug output).
I have tried disabling firestarter and trying it with both the standard firewall and with no firewall, same results. I can telnet into talk.google.com 5222 and 5223 with no difficulty.
Created attachment 160969 [details]
Connect session debug log
Exactly the same output was produced in Fedora 8 Test 1 Live CD
I am connected to Google Talk right now with pidgin-2.1.0-1.fc7 on x86_64. Have
you found anyone else who experiences this trouble?
There are some who are experiencing trouble on the Fedora forums and on the
googletalk group in google groups. Are you using any special settings? Mine are
as given in the dump file:
Sign on name: jamesbannon008
Password: My own password (which I will not repeat here in plain text form)
All the rest of the settings are as standard.
The settings for my login id and password work for every other google service
and the talk gadget works from swiftfox and firefox. There is nothing extra
special in the firewall settings that would be causing a problem since by
default all connection attempts initiated by my machine are allowed. In any case
I have tested it with the firewall disabled and get the same results. Maybe a
Boy, do I feel sheepish! Now it works! It's funny, I have two user names on
google and I'm absolutely positive I tried them both.The long version of my user
name now works. My apologies! This bug can be closed unless someone else is